Design Spotlight: Rycky Creations

April 26, 2011

Today’s Design Spotlight is on Rycky Creations, who shares a poignant story with us. If you would like to see your favorite and/or bestselling card spotlighted here, get in touch!

_____________________

In late 2006, a very special young friend named John underwent surgery to remove a malignant brain tumor. He was diagnosed with glioblastoma multiforme (GBM), a very aggressive form of cancer at 23 years of age. In 2008, I began designing cards, along with another friend, and selling them on the internet under the name “Rycky Creations.”

Wanting to “do something” not only in John’s honor, but also because I had lost my dad to a brain tumor, I designed a card called “Hope.” The background of the card is done in gray, which is the color that represents brain cancer, and I made the decision to donate any commissions earned to cancer research.

In 2009, we expanded our “Hope” card line to include several other “colors” of cancer. By the end of 2010, we had sold 642 Hope cards with 100% of the commissions going to cancer research. If you have a moment, check out our “Hope for Cancer” blog.

I feel so blessed to belong to such a wonderful community of artists… thanks GCU for giving us a great outlet to share our creations!

1. Priscilla of Periwinklecards permalink
    April 26, 2011 9:15 am

What a wonderful thing to do. We need more people like you.
    Beautiful card.

Priscilla

2. April 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Wonderful story. Truth be told, we design cards to bring others happiness or comfort in some way. Rycky cards are all so cleanly designed they are just simply beautiful. Thanks you for sharing your talents with us.

Tom

3. April 26, 2011 12:14 pm

My husband was diagnosed two weeks ago with esophageal cancer. We have not yet been told what stage he is in or what treatment to expect. Tomorrow we go to Barnes hospital to find out. Not wanting to do chemo.

• April 26, 2011 12:35 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your husband. I wish both you and he much strength in the coming days.

Corrie

• April 26, 2011 2:18 pm

So sorry about your husband, my heart goes out to you. I know this is a difficult time… I pray you and your husband will find courage and strength for the battle, but most of all hope for the future. I will say a prayer for you both.

Robin

• April 26, 2011 2:37 pm

I will keep you and your husband in my thoughts.

• April 26, 2011 3:03 pm

All the best to you and your husband. May you find the right answers and treatment you are seeking.

4. April 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks, Pricilla and Tom for your encouraging words… much appreciated!

5. April 26, 2011 2:39 pm

I have often stopped by and admired your Hope for Cancer Card Collection, so beautiful. It’s wonderful to have the story behind the creations.

6. April 26, 2011 3:06 pm

Touching story behind your beautiful Hope cards. Thank you for sharing your story.

7. April 26, 2011 8:00 pm

As a cancer survivor myself, I was very moved by this Design Spotlight. And I included a link to it in my most recent post at ilovecuttables.blogspot.com (I hope that’s ok).

Thanks,
    CindyJ

• April 27, 2011 5:24 am

Absolutely, Cindy…I can’t think of anyone who would refuse a backlink from someone else’s blog. Search engines love that. Thanks for sharing.

Corrie

• Robin permalink
      April 28, 2011 2:01 am

Yes, thanks so much Cindy for the backlink, I appreciate it! Robin / Rycky Creations

8. Robin permalink
    April 28, 2011 2:04 am

Thanks for your kind words, Doreen & Sher!
    Robin / Rycky Creations