Dash of Inspiration – May 9, 2011

May 9, 2011

A Dash of Inspiration…A Cup of Creativity by Doreen

The Text Says it All

For years prior to joining GCU, I was selling blank cards, however creating greetings with text was a new experience for me and one that I struggled with for months. Coming up with what to say has never stumped me, it was applying text to my artwork and having it legible, eye-catching and yet subtle enough to not overpower the image that was my challenge.  The first step of tackling text on greeting cards requires experimenting with fonts.  Though there are a tremendous amount of fonts out there that offer free commercial license, just because a font looks cool doesn’t mean it’s a good choice for a greeting card.  Look at best selling card styles and you’ll see that the font styling blends well with the mood of the card.

Placement of the text is also critical to marketability.  Greeting Card Publishers will tell you to place your message within the top third of the design for cards being sold in physical store locations, because that is the part a potential customer sees in card racks; however at GCU your options are truly endless.  Think about placement carefully, if your text is placed over an area of the card that does not have a solid background, then you need to work harder to make that message pop.  Consider using a drop shadow, bevel, outside glow or style to your text to ‘raise’ it from the image.  Other ways of accomplishing this is to place something behind the text, such as a faded or colored strip.

Today’s tutorial comes to us from Text Tuts and will give you a basic understanding of how to use your photo editing tools to create styles you like.  This tutorial will help you create a nice looking Gold Metallic Style.  Also included are links to 10 Awesome Script Fonts and Yummy Text Styles.  Always be sure to look at the license for use, I try to review all of them for you, but it’s your responsibility to double check!  For those of you using Photoshop Elements, supposedly presets created for CS-5 work perfectly in Elements so give it a try.

Here are some examples of mine to inspire you to make text work for you!

1. Eve Parry permalink
    May 9, 2011 9:48 am

Thank you so much for the links to the awesome fonts. I was getting rather sick of the couple I use mostly.
    Eve

2. May 9, 2011 1:15 pm

Thanks. This is helpful. The text font is always one that I work hard on, but not always sure that the one I chose is the best. You’ve given me some ideas to keep working on this.

3. May 9, 2011 1:57 pm

Downloaded one of the Awesome Script Fonts — or thought I did. Now I can’t find it. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong?

• May 9, 2011 2:16 pm

Where did you save it on your harddrive?

Corrie

• May 9, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi Lloyd, perhaps it went directly to your “Downloads” folder on your computer. Just a thought. That is where my desk top puts them automatically when I download files.

You could also do a search by the name of the file and find it that way and then move it where you want it in your computer. If you don’t find it by either method, then perhaps something went wrong with the download.

Hope one of these ways will find it for you. 🙂 Have a great day!

• May 9, 2011 11:28 pm

My computer also auto-places in download folder, then you just move them wherever, in this case your Fonts folder. Hope you find them!

4. May 9, 2011 3:13 pm

Great information and links Doreen. Thank you.

5. May 9, 2011 11:31 pm

Finally got the the Script fonts saved correctly to my computer. Beautful fonts. Feel sure I will use them ofteh.

6. May 10, 2011 5:23 am

Thanks for another hit, Doreen. I’m a font junkie (other women collect shoes, or maybe handbags … fonts are MY weakness!) and I love your hints!

7. May 12, 2011 9:22 am

Doreen, Thank you, I love Tuts and The Fonts are beautiful.