Dash of Inspiration – May 23, 2011

May 23, 2011

A Dash of Inspiration…A Cup of Creativity by Doreen

45 Brilliant Examples of Photo Manipulation

There is nothing more fascinating to me than photo manipulation art that completely defies my sense of reality!  Though I do a fair amount of this type of work myself and I even have a pretty good imagination, somehow I never seem to take the time to explore the realm of the impossible.  Trained photographers are often buried so deep in applying technique to the visual wonders we see through the lens, that we don’t take the time to step out of the box and take an adventure into the world of pure nonsense.  Perhaps this exhibit will inspire you to shock your own senses and create something from your photographs that defies your own reality!

To help get you started I’ve found three great tutorials to give you some tips and tricks on how to experiment in the creation of the surreal.  The key to learning from these type of tutorials is to learn the HOW to apply and WHAT the expected outcome is of what’s being shown in each step so you can experiment with these techniques using your own imagery.  Have a fantastic voyage!

Brilliant Examples

Surreal Photo Manipulation Tutorial

Creating a Story in Photoshop Tutorial

Creating an Unreal Underwater Image Tutorial

1. May 23, 2011 8:59 am

Hi Doreen, I`m exploring photo manipulation, and I must say its rather fun. Thank you for the tutorial links, I look forward to viewing the photos examples. Thanks Again!

• May 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Perfect timing for you then Janet!! It is fun and I’m glad you’ll get some inspiration and use out this week’s post!

2. May 23, 2011 10:03 am

Doreen, thank you for another great dose of inspiration. Can’t wait for school to be out so I have the time to try everything. I look forward to what your next inspiration post brings. Thanks again.

• May 23, 2011 2:27 pm

I can’t wait to see what you might create Betsy!! Thanks for looking forward to the posts!

3. May 23, 2011 1:55 pm

Thank you, Doreen – this is informative and VERY inspiring! Yesterday morning I had just FINALLY used texture overlays for the first time – using one of the textures I had photographed and tucked away back in 2009 (I knew I’d get to this point one day)! I am so glad you are doing regular guest blogs here!

4. May 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Thanks Peggy! It’s great fun to try new things isn’t it? It seems that there is a never-ending supply of techniques and tools I’ve yet to experiment with. When I finally get around to trying something I wonder how I ever lived without it…LOL!

5. ernestine permalink
    May 24, 2011 4:37 am

Such fun things can be done with PhotoShop. These examples you provided are great inspiration. I’ve been combining original illustration with photos for years and sometimes taking the result “outside the box” (the computer “box” that is) to create physically three dimensional works. But I still have to admit having a good basis in old fashioned design and darkroom techniques has stead me well. I look at the computer as another “tool,” just as the brushes, pencils and pens that overflow in my studio.
    Doreen, your tireless efforts to inspire and educate us is greatly appreciated. ‘e’