Dash of Inspiration – June 13, 2011

June 13, 2011

A Dash of Inspiration…A Cup of Creativity by Doreen

All About Color Theory

I studied photography not art in college, so when I began playing with digital art I was stuck with a CMYK Darkroom Color Wheel in my brain.  Fortunately I had the honor of studying art and color theory with an artist who became not only my mentor but my best friend over the years.  With our new Critique Clinic and Rainbow Connection that Corrie is providing us, I thought this week I’d add some links to inspire all of us to learn more about color theory and the artist’s color wheel.  For those of you who would like to learn more about using color in your designs and how you visualize color and even for those who would just like a refresher course…Here’s what I have for you today:

I found two very interesting videos worth your time, Color Theory and Color Wheel; in addition for those of you who like to study the written word here is a Written Color Theory Tutorial with many links to explore. Our friends from Noupe put together 35 Beautiful Color Palettes from Sunset Photographs which is a must see and if you like them, I added them to my own Photoshop Swatch Library and offer this Sunset Palette of Photoshop Swatches to you commercial free ready for download on my DeviantArt site.  For those of you who may not know how to convert the cool Rainbow Connection colors that Corrie provides us, here is a tutorial  on Creating Your Own Photoshop Color Swatches for you.  Go ahead, color your world!

The Sunset of My Dreams - Image by Doreen Erhardt

1. June 13, 2011 6:58 am

Love the swatches. Would be excellent for boosting colours when the camera decides to remove them during auto white balance!

Cheers,

Rosanne

2. June 13, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks, Doreen, I enjoyed the videos and love the swatches as well. Those sunset photos were beautiful, and it was very interesting to see the color palette created by each one… what a wide range of colors!
    Robin

• June 13, 2011 2:26 pm

You are welcome Robin. I found those videos interesting too, I really enjoyed seeing how the eye sees colors.

3. Gail Pepin permalink
    June 14, 2011 2:34 am

Thanks, Doreen, for all of your help, advice, and interest in sharing with us artists your knowledge. You are cool!
    Gail

4. Lj Maxx permalink
    June 14, 2011 2:51 am

Awesome share and topic Doreen.. Thanks again for the many contributions you share with us here. I really liked this one a lot and found it all to be quite an interesting read of info and well worth reading over a few times. Cool~ 🙂 Lj Maxx

5. June 14, 2011 2:30 pm

Dear Doreen, Thanks for all you share. As Gail says, You are cool….. but you are also hot! Your digital paintings look like they were done by traditional brushes and I mean that as a huge compliment. Beautiful sunset – another of your many beautiful awe inspiring works. Cheers, Lisa