Dash of Inspiration – September 6, 2011

September 6, 2011

A Dash of Inspiration…A Cup of Creativity by Doreen

Tools and Resources for Grammar and More!

Grammar, spelling and writing in general have always come fairly easy for me; however that doesn’t mean I don’t question myself from time to time, after all grammar school was a long time ago!  There are lots of tools out there that I use to check and recheck before submitting cards.  The answers to nearly every question are out there and this week I thought I’d pass along some of these great resources available to you.  Utilizing these tools does not mean you aren’t good at grammar and spelling, it just means you admit to yourself that many of us pick up bad habits over the years and can use a refresher course.

Let’s face it, the more effort you put into creating text without errors in grammar and spelling, the less work the reviewers have and the faster they can get our cards approved and up for sale!  So, here’s to inspiring you to use the tools available to triple check your own cards and get it right the first time!

How and When to Use a Semicolon

10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling

How to Use an Apostrophe

How and When to Use a Comma

Five Common (too common) Grammatical Errors

Grammar Girl Quick and Dirty Tips

The Grammar Book (online endless resource)

24 Things You May be Saying Wrong

Lastly, I leave you with my favorite tool of all which I have as a shortcut on my desktop.  The Thesaurus is a great tool for determining related keywords and improving your verses.  I also love the fact that with this simple link, I have access to a Dictionary and Encyclopedia.

1. September 6, 2011 10:32 am

Enjoyed this a lot! That’s a good collection of links, Doreen. I’ll keep them handy, just in case.

Cheers,

Rosanne

2. September 6, 2011 2:24 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this post! I’ve always been intrigued by grammar. Two things I’ve learned recently: It’s wreak (pronounced ‘reek’) havoc, not wreck (reck) havoc. And from the reviewers I learned that an ellipsis is writtten . . . not…
    Thank you for sharing this. Loved it!

3. September 6, 2011 2:51 pm

Rosanne & Tracie . . . glad you enjoyed!

Tracie . . . the ellipsis is my downfall as well . . . LOL!

4. September 6, 2011 5:06 pm

Yeah . . . the ellipsis gets me all the time, too. :-/ Loved the grammar review, Doreen, and their use of humor to drive the points home helps. I’m ALWAYS messing up some grammar rule somewhere; probably even in this post! Lol! My son is constantly correcting me (ouch, since I homeschooled him until high school). It’s a memory issue for me, and he has a very keen memory . . . especially for all things that have to do with writing.

Thanks for the great links. 🙂
    Cindy

5. September 7, 2011 8:50 am

Thank you for all the links and the information, Doreen, I will also keep these handy.
    Janet Lee

6. September 7, 2011 12:51 pm

great … high school grammar was a long time ago, did not think it would cause me so many “resubmit” issues now!

7. September 16, 2011 10:22 am

I read through “24 things you might be saying wrong” and I was stunned at how much I did not know, with “hone in/home in” being one of the most shocking! Thanks for the great resources!

8. September 16, 2011 3:07 pm

You are welcome Heather! There really is a tremendous amount of great stuff on this Community Blog – ENJOY!