Nuts and Bolts: Design of the Day

September 14, 2011

I’ll bet at least some of you are wondering, “How the heck do I win the Design of the Day award?” Well, I figured you might be, so I asked, and here’s the scoop.

The exact step-by-step process of how a card is chosen to win the Design of the Day remains a mystery (in much the same way as reviewers’ real identities are protected). However, there are some eligibility guidelines.

• For technical reasons, at this time only portrait (5×7) cards are eligible (I totally understand this one – I measured the available space, and a landscape card wouldn’t fit).
  • Only those cards recently approved and in the New Cards section are eligible.
  • Eligible cards are top notch in their design with excellent composition, high marketability, and commercial appeal. Whether photography or illustration based, an eligible card must show a high degree of professionalism in all areas, and both design and verse should be relevant to the chosen category.
  • To reflect the fact that Greeting Card Universe’s success is due to its selection of highly unique greeting cards for every imaginable occasion and purposes, only cards designed for a specific purpose and containing a relevant inside verse are eligible. “Blank note cards” and all occasion cards are not considered.
  • An effort is made not to choose the same artist twice in the same month.

How do you know if you’ve won the Design of the Day? You’ll receive a notification via your GCU store through the Contact This Artist link (and every one of you should have that module ON in your store for obvious reasons). I saw the other day that Team GCU has also recently started adding a five star review to winning cards, so watch for that as well.

What can you do to promote the Design of the Day? If you’ve won, you’ve got bragging rights, so go for it! Especially spread the word on your social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, and/or on your blog and/or website.

And here’s an idea: I’ve yet to see some clever, clever artist take advantage of the Sell This Card tool, and make a blog or webpage specifically to profit from the Design of the Day. Daily post or weekly round-up, you could clean up.

Now here’s a special hint: Not too long in the future, artists who are chosen for the Design of the Day may win more than bragging rights. I hear the whole community can get involved. Shhhh! You didn’t hear it from me!

1. September 14, 2011 1:21 pm

Thank you, Corrie! I had been wondering, so I’m glad you explained it. 😀 Also, I appreciate the suggestion to start promoting them. I’m going to. 😀 Is there someplace where all the previous Design of the Day links are posted, on one easy-to-find page? If not, it’s ok, I think I have most of them in my email folder someplace. 😀

Thanks again! 🙂
    Cindy

• September 14, 2011 1:25 pm

I haven’t found an archive, Cindy. If you make one, post a link! 🙂

Corrie

• September 14, 2011 1:47 pm

I do hope to make an archive this week/weekend and I’ll definitely post the link (here, on the GCU forum, in my Google+, FB & Twitter accounts, etc). 🙂 I think I’m missing some from the very beginning and maybe 1 or 2 since then. But when I determine exactly which ones I’m missing I’ll email you to see if you’ll be able to help me track them down, because I don’t want to miss anybody’s. 🙂 I wish I’d have thought to do this a long time ago. I’m glad you made the suggestion here. 🙂

Thanks,
        Cindy

• September 14, 2011 2:24 pm

I started a blog for them! 🙂 I’ll still post the link to an archive once I’ve created it, I just haven’t decided exactly what format I’m going to use yet.

• September 15, 2011 10:05 pm

I said I’d come back here and post the link to the archive, but I forgot. lol (silly me)

Here’s the link to it: http://gcu-designoftheday.blogspot.com/p/archive-of-greeting-card-universes.html

P.S. I went with a format that was easiest for me. Sorry no dates or names added. :-/

2. September 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Interesting…the fact that not too many GCU artist has use the SELL THIS CARD on their blog…clever tip…THANKS

3. September 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Great Nuts & Bolts Corrie, thanks! I’ve used the Sell This Card tool since the beginning and in addition to my own sales, I’ve sold well over 300 cards through those links from other artists . . . it’s a win, win!

4. September 15, 2011 1:26 pm

Thank you Corrie! 🙂

Sher

5. September 16, 2011 10:53 am

I was wondering, Corrie – why is it a good idea to create a blog dedicated solely to Design of the Day cards? Won’t readers be put off by self promotion? Wouldn’t it be better to dedicate a day of the week to Design of the Day on an already established blog? Sorry if I sound like a newbie! 😀

• September 16, 2011 11:07 am

It would be up to the artist to decide what they want to do with the idea. The reasoning is that if a new customer clicks on one of your links, goes to GCU, and buys something, you make 50 cents per card commission (up to $25 per order). I can say that I’ve made some money in the past with the Sell This Card tool, and I know for sure Doreen Erhardt has, too. By posting a Design of the Day, or a weekly roundup, or a monthly roundup, you’re putting links out there that can earn you money.

Corrie

• CindyJ permalink
      September 16, 2011 3:36 pm

In my case, I started my blog (GCU-Designoftheday.blogspot.com) for several reasons. The main one, or course, is extra income. lol. My own cards don’t sell very well yet, so I’m hoping to capitalize on the skills of other artists by selling their cards. 🙂 At the same time, I haven’t won DotD yet, so there’s not much self-promotion for me – unless one considers that I’m trying to get my internet and blogging skills “out there,” then ok, yeah…those skills I’m happy to promote. lol

Secondly, I love seeing the DotD every day, anyhow. Sometimes they inspire me, sometimes I’m totally in awe, and sometimes I think ‘hmmm, I could make a card as good as that.’ lol. It’s also like a mini-education for me. I learn about new occasions that I’ve never heard about, or I learn more about those that I HAVE heard about (like yesterday’s DotD winner with Hanukkah).

Finally, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being associated with GreetingCardUniverse.com and my new blog cements that relationship for me. 🙂 If people think that’s self-promotion on my part, then so be it. 😉

Cindy

• September 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Cindy, even if it was self-promotion that’s important too 🙂 Love your new blog! Very well done and I wish you much success with it! It’s wonderful to see all the DOD cards in one place.

I have one suggestion that will help search engines move you up in line and bring you more traffic. Blogs & websites must have good written content in order to be found and not ignored by search engines. So be sure to add written content at least once a week.

• September 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks, Doreen! As always, very sound advice. 🙂

Cindy

6. September 18, 2011 9:54 am

Wonderful tips, Thank you.
    I’ve been doing my best to keep up with Design Of The Day on my blog: http:www.sendfromsitecards.blogspot.com (They have their own page.)
    If anyone wanted to take a peek.
    And then I share the page on Twitter, Facebook, and so on …
    That is a great idea to have a place we can go to view all the designs and catch up if we fall behind, if that makes sense, I’ve missed a few artists cards, not meaning to.
    Janet Lee

7. September 18, 2011 10:09 am

Very cool, Janet – way to spread the word!

Corrie