Dash of Inspiration – A Matter of Perspective

February 27, 2012

A Dash of Inspiration, A Cup of Creativity by Doreen

A Matter of Perspective

I ran across a fun collection of photographs in a post called Unusual and Bizarre Building Designs By Aquil Akhter courtesy of Noupe.com and enjoyed it so much, I thought some of you might as well.  I was immediately thrown back in time to one of my first photography classes where one of our assignments was to rent an old 4×5 View camera and head out to photograph, develop and print architectural subjects.  Wow, was that ever an unusual experience and one that truly gave me an appreciation, not only for the skill required to take marketable architectural photographs with buildings that don’t look like they are falling down and level horizon lines, but also for those amazing photojournalists who lugged the old 4×5 beasts around the world to provide us with images of life beyond our own country  – odd where inspiration comes from sometimes!

So, my flash-backs have provided this week’s inspiration bringing you 50 Beautiful Examples of Architecture Photography by Noupe.com, as well as tutorials for both photographers and a simple tutorial on how to draw perspective.  I also included some shapes and brushes for your tool kit – as always read the TOU carefully.

The Architectural Photographer’s Rules of Thumb by Alan Blakely

Photographing Buildings by Geoff Lawrence

9 Architectural Photography Tips by Natalie Johnson

Avoiding & Correcting Linear Distortion in Buildings by Photo Tuts Plus

How To Draw Two-Point Perspective, with Karl Gude

57 Building Shapes – Vector Buildings Courtesy of All Silhouettes.com

Cityscape and skyline brushes by ~cLuddy at deviantArt

1. February 27, 2012 11:29 am

WILD px!

2. February 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Doreen, Thank you for sharing the links with us as always very inspirational.
    I agree with Judith, Wild Pic, my first thought was Wow!
    Janet Lee

3. February 27, 2012 1:59 pm

What a great article. I’m a colored pencil portrait artist; and as such I usually rely on my ability to capture my subjects (which include buildings) on film. Thank you for all the great resources.

4. February 27, 2012 4:03 pm

have you used the skyline brushes for GCU yet?

5. February 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Janet & Candace, you are very welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

6. Kati permalink
    February 27, 2012 8:17 pm

As usual Doreen, you are a wonderful source of inspiration! Appreciate that you take the time to share. Just read this article: http://gimundo.com/news/article/6-ways-to-foster-creativity-in-daily-life/ and it made me think of you and how much you foster creativity in others.
    Kati, Anura Design Studio

• February 28, 2012 3:42 am

What a great article Kati! I’m honored that reading it made you think of me 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing it and stopping by!

7. February 28, 2012 12:18 am

Doreen, Love this! As always sending a big thank you for your time to provide us with awesome inspiration. Kati, great link, great read.