Dash of Inspiration – What’s Close to Your Heart

April 30, 2012

A Dash of Inspiration, A Cup of Creativity by Doreen

What’s Close to Your Heart

This time of year, I put my business and personal life on hold for a couple weeks and volunteer my time and expertise to my local Humane Society.

They have a big Whiskers & Wine Dinner event which raises funds for their five big programs such as; Feral Rescue, Pit Bull Rescue and Special Needs Animals.  For the past seven years, their annual funds for these programs has been raised at this event through a DVD of photographs, statistics, quotes and music for each program which I put together and after each section is shown, they have an auction.

So my job is to create imagery that evokes the ‘ahhh’ factor and makes those guests take out their wallet and give to the animals!  Over the years evolving from this project I created a book and collection of cards called “Stray Muses . . . A Language Unspoken” and 100% of the sales of this collection are donated to my local HS every year.

So this week, needing to keep it short for my own time constraints, I thought it might be inspirational to share what organizations we help support through our art and I leave you with these 50 Superb Examples of Animal Photography since that’s what is close to my heart – enjoy!

“If you haven’t any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble” Quote by: Bob Hope

What’s in your heart?

See you next week!

1. April 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Doreen what a great way to use your talents for a good cause.

• April 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi Diana – thank you! My mother had a huge heart and she taught me to “give what you have to give and you’ll make a difference”.

2. April 30, 2012 7:29 pm

Doreen, your mom taught you well. I love the quote. I think it is fabulous what you do for the animals. The link to the animal photography is breathtaking.
    I haven’t done anything with my art as far as helping an organization (other than donate baskets of cards for raffles for a charity) because I am fairly new to this artform. I am flattered that a special education teacher at the school where I am a lunchlady just asked if I would come in as a “guest artist” and talk to the kids about photography and how I make my cards. I must say I am a bit nervous even though there are just 7 kids in the class, I suppose I am not fond of being the center of attention. I have a few ideas for a project we could do to make a special card for mom or dad but nothing concrete yet. Sorry to ramble.
    Again, great work you do and give all the furry friends a big pet for me!

• April 30, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks Betsy and donating a basket of cards to a charity is a WONDERFUL way to give and means the world to the charity! How exciting to be able to expose young minds! My mom worked in a commercial traditional darkroom most of her life and as a little girl, I used to love it when she brought home out of date card-size darkroom paper because all the neighborhood kids would come over and I’d show them how awesome it was when you laid a leaf or something on the paper and let the sun expose the paper with the shape on it . . .no wonder I grew up to be a photographer! Good luck with those kids!

3. April 30, 2012 8:14 pm

Doreen, that’s a wonderful way to share your heart and your talents, and I’m sure it’s most appreciated by your local humane society! I too love animals and try to donate locally as well. But, as most already know, my heart and all commissions earned on my “Hope for Cancer” cards goes to finding a cure for cancer … specifically brain tumors, having lost two very important people in my life to that dreaded disease!

Betsy, I agree with Doreen that donating a basket of cards is a great way to give to charity! Good luck with your guest artist presentation. I know what you mean about not wanting to be the center of attention, but I’m sure you’ll do just fine and the kids will love it!!

Robin

• April 30, 2012 8:52 pm

Robin – thanks for stopping by! I’m a huge fan of your “Hope for Cancer” cards, they are a beautiful way to help raise funding and provide much needed encouragement to those effected by this devastating disease. You give your heart away with each of your cards in this collection and every recipient is touched by it.

• May 1, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for the well wishes Doreen and Robin! Robin, your work for cancer is awesome. Keep up the good work.