Dash of Inspiration: Mouth Watering Food Photography

October 8, 2012

A Dash of Inspiration, A Cup of Creativity by Doreen

Mouth Watering Food Photography

There are some categories on GCU where a great food image is a perfect choice for the occasion.  However, food photography is one of the most difficult areas to master. So, if you choose to create a card using food as your imagery it’s imperative that you know HOW to take a great food shot.

Here are some important things to remember when setting up a food shot:

1. Color balance is critical!  Though proper color balance is important in all of your photographs, it’s necessary in food photography … no one is going to be drawn to a card with a cyan cast on your steak!
  2. Lighting is also very important.  Lighting on a food shot should have even light, no deep shadows allowed in this area of photography.  Bright or soft even lighting is a must for capturing a shot which makes the viewer want to drool!
  3. Setting – nothing in a food shot which does not add to the photograph should be visible.  No kitchen floors, cupboards, or walls. Don’t let the surroundings, i.e. table cloth, dishes, etc clash or compete with the colors in your food.

For a bite of inspiration, check out the beautiful portfolio of Michael Ray

If you’d like to learn more tips on how to take greeting card worthy food photographs that make the viewer hungry, check these out!

Food Photography – An Introduction by Darren Rowse

The Ten Tastiest Food Photography Tips by PhotoJojo.com

The Art of Food Photography by Cooking Up a Story

Once you become an expert, considering creating cards for these categories:

Collections > Food & Wine Cards

Business > Christmas Cards > Industry Specific > Food / Restaurant

Business > Industry Specific Cards > Food/Restaurant

Collections > Recipe / Cooking Cards Cards

Invitations > Dinner Party, Rehearsal Dinner, Easter Dinner, Christmas Dinner Party

Occasions > Thank you Cards > Hospitality > Dinner

Remember, if it doesn’t look good enough to eat right off the card, it’s not a good choice for a greeting card!

Card by Maria Dryfhout, this image has great lighting, beautiful still-life setting, and perfect color!

1. October 8, 2012 9:46 am

Thank you Doreen for such helpful hints and also the links.
    Janet Lee

2. Inkflo @ Chez Inkflo permalink
    October 8, 2012 11:25 am

Great dash of inspiration Doreen. I have to tell you though, that photography by Michael Ray really set my mouth watering, so I guess that’s what to aim for when taking the photo!

3. October 8, 2012 11:57 am

Doreen, what a treat! But thanks because now I am starving! Working in a restaurant I get called upon at times to photograph dishes to use in ads or to put on the digital photo frame that runs for folks to see at the hostess stand. I don’t have any professional equipment and am always doing it during my waitress shift so it is a rush job! The links you have provided are serious food for thought and very tempting tidbits of information to help me with the outcome of my food photos! I love the tip about the steaming cotton ball! Thanks so much for this super dash of inspiration.
    P.S. I posted this picture that I have always liked, I would love to hear your input as a professional photographer.

• October 8, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Betsy!

Thanks so much for stopping by and really glad I picked a subject that hit home for you! I posted a response on your blog.

• October 8, 2012 4:09 pm

Doreen,Thanks so much for taking the time to offer your advice. I greatly appreciate it.

4. October 8, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks, Doreen 😀 Food photography is something I’ve been trying to master, and it is one of the hardest things for me. I’ve learned so much from you and am so thankful!

5. October 8, 2012 3:59 pm

Really glad to hear this topic gave you food for thought and left you hungry for more!!