Dash of Inspiration: Nik Collection Now FREE

April 11, 2016

DashInspirationBanner_2015

Years ago, I paid good money for the full Nik Collection and it’s always been money well spent in my opinion, as it’s one of my favorite tools to “pull more” out of photographs. Back in early 2015 or late 2014 I think, it was taken over by Google.  In Google’s own words; “… we’ve decided to make the Nik Collection desktop suite available for free, so that now anyone can use it.

So as of March 24, 2016 – Google now generously offers these tools to anyone for FREE!

It has wide-spread compatibility. I use it as a plug-in with Photoshop CS5, but before you go through the hassle of download, be sure to know if it’s compatible with your system and tools – and – read through the installation options which best suit your computer.

NikCollection_CompatibilityImage

Nik Collection by Google Compatibility

My tip for you as a professional photographer … there IS NOT a better set of FREE tools out there for the photographer, amateur or pro. I use the Nik Collection, Topaz Labs, On 1 and Perfect Photo Suite. All are great tools and professionals all over the world use these tools, Nik included. So here’s your chance!

This collection – which was $99.00 for each of the seven plug-ins back in the day – offers you HDR effects, darkroom inspired Black and White tools, Selective Color and Tone adjustments and so much more. What you can improve upon, is almost endless!

NikCollection_Offerings

Google Nik Collection is NOW FREE

This may not be a permanent offer by Google. They may at some point decide to start charging for this collection again. If you are serious about your photography, this collection is a MUST HAVE and for FREE? How could you possibly go wrong?

Nik Collection by Google

So until next week … Learn … Create … Inspire!

Don’t forget to tune in and participate in our April Dash of Inspiration Design Challenge!

1. April 11, 2016 7:08 pm

Wow, thanks so much for the heads up, Doreen!

2. April 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Great resource! Thanks Doreen 🙂

3. April 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Wow! That is awesome!! I purchased the collection for over $100 and it was one of the best purchases ever.

4. May 1, 2016 4:48 pm

Very interesting! Please excuse my ignorance, but do these tools differ from Lightroom? If so, in what way? Free free to just point me to web reference that you respect.

• May 1, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi Stacia,

First of all I don’t use Lightroom, since I’ve had the Nik Collection for many years, the full Topaz Collection and Perfect Photo Suite 7. But others might have something to offer in the way of opinion.

All I can suggest, is type into Google “comparison of Lightroom vs Nik Collection” and see what you get – and – it’s FREE, download it and take a look if you like. It’s always better to make an informed decision based on your unique photography and decision style by personally seeing what it offers. You can always remove it from your computer.

• May 2, 2016 5:33 am

Hi Stacia, I use both. I run my raw photo through Lightroom for quick exposure adjustments, then go to Nik for final touches. It works as a plugin for Lightroom.

• May 2, 2016 12:11 pm

Thanks, Tracie. I’ve now done some web searching, too, and I see that it also works through Photoshop, which would be an option for me. I haven’t been working with photography much lately, but this tool might tempt me!

• May 2, 2016 3:12 pm

Great input Tracie, thank you. Stacia I use it as a plug-in for CS-5 and it works brilliantly. My set up is to use Canon’s Camera Raw tools for the raw format image, then I bring the image into PS and work with it further using Nik, Topaz and/or Perfect Suite depending on the image or where I wish to go with it.

5. May 2, 2016 10:27 pm

Great! I feel fully informed! Thanks so much!

6. May 24, 2016 7:46 pm

I Love NIK collection. I did pay for it long ago and it is wonderful that others can get it for free. I have used it on my different levels of Photoshop. Thanks Doreen!