Dash of Inspiration: Blast from the Past

May 9, 2016

DashInspirationBanner_2015

Today started off a bit rocky and put me way behind schedule. While out walking my sweet 12-year-old Golden Retriever/Lab dog she was charged by a similar sized dog who got away from it’s owner. The attacking dog was not playful, it was aggressive with her, knocking her down and nipping at her. I grabbed the dog by the scruff of the neck and pulled it off my dog holding it in that grip, hard enough to pull it’s head up and front legs off the ground until it’s owner caught up with us. Don’t mess with a Mama Bear! My old lady seems to be okay. I’ll keep an eye on her for a couple of days to make sure there aren’t any bites which didn’t bleed and instead swell with infection.

Clearly, a bad start to a Monday! So, today I’m going to simplify my day by leaving you with a blast from the past worth re-posting for the newbies and anyone who likes a refresher course. Thank you for understanding the lack of something new this week.

Type It Right from March 2015

Enjoy! See you next week.

1. Laurie Schneider permalink
    May 9, 2016 7:53 pm

So glad you and your fur-baby are okay! Hope you have a much better week! Take care, Laurie

2. May 9, 2016 7:53 pm

How frightening! May your “old lady” stay well!

3. Lisa permalink
    May 9, 2016 8:40 pm

Fur babies first. All.The.Time.

4. May 9, 2016 8:40 pm

Sorry to hear this! Puts a bolt of adrenaline into your morning when your pet is under attack. Hope she is ok.

• May 9, 2016 10:17 pm

You are all so sweet, thank you for your concern and kind words. 🙂 Ossa is such a sweet and gentle spirit. She never even nipped back which probably helped defuse the situation. She stayed down in a submission position until I got my hands on ‘the beast’. Extra cookies and love, she seems to be fine, fingers crossed!

• May 9, 2016 10:58 pm

BTW, I’ve now learned from you about a possible strategy about how to subdue an aggressive dog. I can add it to my arsenal of What to Do in Bad Situations!

• May 9, 2016 11:37 pm

Great to hear, Stacia, I learn from my pets all the time. Once long ago when she was only two, a HUGE unaltered male escaped his yard and because he was never allowed inside or out to walk or play, he was always ‘in a mood’. Ossa was out exploring our three acres at the time and I saw this guy coming thinking on no! That was the first time I realized that she was completely capable of reading the energy of others as she dropped and rolled onto her back and just stayed there while he approached her. He sniffed and nudged, then left the area. So it was no surprise to me that she knew how to handle this situation. Me, I always go into ‘get away from my baby mode’ … hahaha. It was good instinct though, because the dog was trying to bite me as I held it and I calmed my own energy when I realized that my grip was so tight and in the perfect spot to completely immobilize the head so it couldn’t reach either of us at that point. You’re right, it’s good to remember what works!

5. May 10, 2016 7:14 am

Hi Doreen, sorry to hear that. That other dog must be mistreated or mentally unbalanced as normally male dogs don’t attack female dogs. A good thing you acted quickly and wisely so he could not attack you either … Hope the rest of your week will be just fine!

• May 10, 2016 2:37 pm

Thank you, Barbara. I don’t know what gender the dog was yesterday morning, but it’s clearly not a well-socialized or well-behaved pet. When I reported the incident (just in case I had vet bills) I was informed that this same dog had gotten off leash and knocked someone down breaking their hip. So ….

6. May 10, 2016 10:31 am

Doreen, I hope your Ossa is doing OK! I am all too familiar with a precious dog being attacked by others and my heart went out to you and Ossa when I read your story. Take care and may you never run into that meanie again!

7. May 10, 2016 11:23 am

Thankful that you and Ossa are okay, Doreen. Doubt I would have even thought of doing that in my panic mode! She’s a lucky dog to have you for a mother bear 😉

• May 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Sweet, Robin, thank you. 🙂 I think you’d be surprised what ‘panic mode’ can bring out when someone you love is under attack. Of course, I am ‘that person’ which would throw myself in front of a car to save my dog from being hit – so I might lean too far on the crazy pet lady side, LOL!