Design Spotlight: Ernestine Grindal

April 30, 2011

Today’s Design Spotlight is on Ernestine Grindal, who shares a very sweet story with us about her Mother’s Day card. It’s also a lesson in spontaneity for all  you photographers out there. If you would like to see your favorite and/or bestselling card spotlighted here, get in touch!

_____________________

Outside: I suppose you'll be expecting breakfast in bed? Inside: No problem, you deserve it! Kibbles or bits? Have a great day, Mom. You're the best!

My Jack Russell Terrier, Phoebe, is my muse, my buddy and a source of great entertainment for the last 12 years.  She’s been a true inspiration (and model) for many of my cards.  When she’s not jumping around on her hind legs  she’s such a “prima donna,” always looking for the cushiest spot in the house, burying herself in the pillows.

I had just gotten a digital camera – pretty late in the game, I must admit it was difficult to pry my hands off of my 35mm Nikon.  Phoebe was just peeking out from under the covers and I saw a great chance to test my new camera.  Now I’m not a photographer, and don’t claim to be, but I thought the shot was pretty cute.  Mother’s Day was coming up and being a designer and illustrator, I loaded it into the old Mac, did a little pattern magic in Photoshop with the clone tool for the background . . . added borders, a little cropping and pulled in some Victorian ephemera, it all came together.

I’d picked out a pretty but casual font, now to come up with some copy for the text.  As an artist, that’s always hard for me, but I thought I couldn’t go wrong with a little bit of humor — not the rolling on the floor laughing kind, just a little warm and fuzzy smile.

Phoebe always makes me happy with her warm little fuzzy smile, and sharing her on my cards has proved to be a great hit.

1. Eve Parry permalink
    April 30, 2011 6:20 am

This is so delightful Ernestine. I would be happy if I was only half as creative as you in Photoshop.
    Eve

2. April 30, 2011 9:22 am

I love the way you’ve created and pulled all the elements together in this design – great work! I’d be interested to know where you got the ‘Victorian ephemera’ from – Natalie

3. April 30, 2011 10:51 am

Now that is beautiful. Perfect even!

4. April 30, 2011 11:26 am

Every detail works together to make this card adorable and sweet.

5. Rycky Creations permalink
    April 30, 2011 2:32 pm

LOVE this card… so cute, great design! Thanks for sharing.

6. April 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Earnestine, that is just a wonderful card! I love it! I think ANYONE who received that would ecstatic! Beautiful!

7. April 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Adorable card ‘e’! Of course you know I’ve been a fan for a long time! Give Phoebe a little treat from me today…she’s so cute and such a good friend!

8. Cathy Gangwer permalink
    April 30, 2011 2:41 pm

Sweet, sweet card!

9. April 30, 2011 2:46 pm

That is an adorable card Ernestine!
    What’s important to note about this quick “snapshot” is that despite that label, it is well composed, free of peripheral detrus, in focus, and well and properly lit with no odd color casts or flash “flatness.”
    If everyone’s snapshots look this good, we could all go “pro!”
    I also love how you’ve creatively used elements from the picture to create a background and yet continued to pull the focus into that adorable face.
    Five Stars!

10. April 30, 2011 10:07 pm

Loved reading how your creative process works, and am absolutely smitten with Phoebe’s charm and preciousness. 😀

Thanks!
    CindyJ

11. May 3, 2011 5:57 am

this is very lovely, so warm and happy.

12. May 8, 2011 7:27 pm

Oh Ernestine, this image is magic! I love it. You give us ‘photographers’ a glimpse of what we should ‘aim’ at. Kudos!