Dash of Inspiration – August 1, 2011

August 1, 2011

A Dash of Inspiration…A Cup of Creativity by Doreen

Floral Photography 101 and Beyond

As we all know, weeding is being done at GCU and much of that is of our photographs.  Floral photography is perhaps the largest subject matter on the site and a love for many of us.  So this morning I created a Squidoo Lens which offered a good format to provide some examples of beautiful floral photographs at GCU and allowed me to include tutorials that might help improve some of our flower photos.

For My Wife - Floral Garden Birthday Card - artist Doreen Erhardt

Due to Squidoo’s limit of 8 outgoing links to the same site, none of the GCU examples have direct links, rather they have a link to the artist’s store listed which can be copied to your browser.  This lens will continue to grow with beautiful examples and tutorials as I have the time to add them.  I hope some of you find this helpful and that it also offers inspiration to perhaps go play with some of your existing floral cards to improve them as you see fit.

Here’s the link to Floral Photography 101 and Beyond.

ENJOY!

1. August 1, 2011 7:32 am

Absolutely Beautiful Card Doreen. You must have been reading my mind, as you know, I love dabbling in floral photography and can use advice on improving/learning.
    Thank you so much for helping and supporting us artists at GCU!
    Janet Lee

2. August 1, 2011 8:26 am

Awesome lens Doreen, with great advice, thank you! I have a fantastic book on floral photography which I found tremendously helpful and inspiring: ‘Photographing Flowers’ bySue Bishop ISBN 1-86108-366-1 just in case anyone’s interested – Natalie 🙂

• August 1, 2011 7:49 pm

It was one of the one’s I listed on the lens…thanks for letting us know how well like it!!

3. August 1, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi Doreen,
    A subject near and dear to my heart! What a beautiful and inspiring lens, who would not want to grab the camera and run out to the garden now?
    Blush … thanks for including my Lotus. I have to promote my hubby and his gardening skills here as he grows Lotus each year and what a treat it is to have such an exotic beauty in your own garden. -Pamela/PamJArts

• August 1, 2011 7:54 pm

You are welcome Pamela and I had forgotten at the time I picked it that you had a wonderful and talented gardener as a husband.

4. August 1, 2011 12:19 pm

Lovely lens Doreen, As always your advice is invaluable. I just had a floral (herbal actually) card approved and was delighted due to the new standards being implemented. I look forward to following this particular lens.

• August 1, 2011 7:55 pm

Thank you Betsy, glad you found it useful and congrats on your recent card approval 🙂

5. August 1, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanks so much, Doreen, for another helpful and beautifully illustrated article. You chose a wide range of lovely styles. Thanks, too, for featuring my roses and honeybee photograph. Catherine Sherman

• August 1, 2011 7:56 pm

You are welcome Catherine it was a lovely photographic example of what’s possible!

6. Cathy Gangwer permalink
    August 1, 2011 2:12 pm

Thank You, Doreen! This is a great article on flower photography. When I get on my computer I am going to bookmark it.

7. August 1, 2011 3:23 pm

Fantastic! Thank you for this. I’m going to be keeping this on hand.

8. August 1, 2011 7:57 pm

Thank you Cathy & Tracie…really delighted to have it appreciated!

9. August 2, 2011 4:14 am

Another wonderful post, Doreen. Your lens is both beautiful AND informative. I love learning through you! THANK YOU!

10. August 2, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks for your ideas and advice, Doreen. I read the article and left my kudos there too. I’m currently developing my first ‘lens’ there, so be sure to check back and see what I’ve been up to lately. LOL 🙂 My name there is PhotoSquidKid.