Design Spotlight: Jane Dykstra

August 31, 2011
Today our Design Spotlight is on Jane Dykstra, a GCU member since 2010 – thanks, Jane, what a very sweet card! And the inside verse is perfect.
This is one of my favorite cards because I made the blanket, hat and booties for our newest granddaughter this past March and I thought they all together would make a great card.  I have only sold 5 but it has gotten a lot of clicks and because when I see it, I know my granddaughter has worn these things that I made especially for her.  I started crocheting again after 35 years of not even picking it up.  I learned when I was 13 and played with it until I was 15, and haven’t made anything until now when I made these for our little Claire.

I have only been with GCU since September 2010, and when I don’t have company or gone camping with family,  I design on average 5 to 10 cards per week.  I am an avid photographer and have learned so much from GCU artists.

My husband has been a photographer for 40 years and when I met him 17 years ago I had never even seen an SLR and started using the one he gave me, which was a Nikon N6006.  I loved the way that thing would sound when I clicked off pictures.  Not until 4 years ago did I start experimenting with my first DSLR (Nikon D5000) with my first zoom lens (Nikon 70-300VR).   I have advanced to a Nikon D7000.

As you can see, I love nature, horses, animals and flowers.  My cards are from my photographs and some Photoshop changes here and there.  I have no formal training, just tips and tricks from my husband, loving photography, and being steered into quickly learning Photoshop on my job.  I work full time besides GCU and Zazzle but if I could do photography, design and making cards on GCU full time I would.

When I was asked to do Design Spotlight I was shocked and thought it was supposed to be someone else.  When Corrie confirmed it was me she was really asking I was thrilled, scared, and honored.  Scared because I don’t feel good enough to be in any spotlight, thrilled and honored for obvious reasons.

GCU has been a great inspiration and I spend more of my time on here than any other site.  This site is very easy to move around on and for someone technically challenged, that means a lot.  I have learned so much on digital art, writing verses, advertising, and best of all have met some very nice cyber friends 🙂
  1. August 31, 2011 6:02 am

A lovely card, Jane. And it was neat to hear your story and background in photography.

2. August 31, 2011 6:48 am

Hi Jane, what a sweet card. And it’s great that you handmade something personal for your grandchild – it’s a lovely momento!

3. August 31, 2011 8:14 am

Hi Jane, Very lovely card, I know you will sell many more, you should also be selling your blankets, hats, and booties…they are so adorable.
    Wonderful reading your story and getting to know you better.
    Janet Lee

4. August 31, 2011 10:19 am

A cute card and such a nice back story to it – it was lovely that you could combine two forms of creativity like that!

Cheers,

Rosanne

5. Rycky Creations permalink
    August 31, 2011 11:38 am

What a sweet card Jane, made even more so with the story behind it! I’m impressed that you find time to create 5-10 cards/week and also work full-time … that’s a lot of work! I only work part-time, but still can’t seem to find enough hours in the day to devote to the card business! Congratulations on being chosen for the Spotlight, Jane … well deserved, and I enjoyed getting to know you a little better!

Robin

6. August 31, 2011 12:30 pm

Very nice story Jane. Adorable card too. It is so nice to get to know fellow GCU artists that we interact with in the forum and admire their work. Your photography is very nice and you deserve to be “in the spotlight”.

7. August 31, 2011 12:33 pm

I’m very glad to get to know you. I,too, enjoy your work. You are a quick learner and have a real artistic eye.

Congratulations on being chosen for the spotlight- You definitely deserve it!

Trish

8. August 31, 2011 12:49 pm

Jane, what a sweet delight your card and verse are! 😉 And the hand-crocheted items are adorable. Beautiful photography, too.

It’s pretty impressive all that you manage to do and still create cards. You’re quite an inspiration, Jane.

Thanks for sharing a lovely part of your life with us. 🙂
    Cindy

9. August 31, 2011 2:38 pm

I was drawn to this card the very first time I saw it in your store, the colors are endearing and I agree, those crochet pieces are beautiful heirlooms. Wonderful to learn more about you and your love of photography.

10. Cathy Gangwer permalink
    September 1, 2011 1:16 am

Awesome Card! Very interesting feature, Jane! It is nice to meet the artists behind
    the photography.

11. September 1, 2011 1:54 am

Thanks Jane (and baby Claire!) for sharing such a precious card in your design spotlight. It’s wonderful how the love just beams right through to us. May the 5 sales turn to 50 and exponentially onwards to welcome, so perfectly, new baby girls to the world.

There is so much you love and appreciate in the world and it shines in every card you make.

Wishing you continued inspiration, lots of energy and time to create and a steady increase in sales.

Kind Regards,
    Sri

12. September 4, 2011 10:36 am

Congratulations Jane, The warmth in your card is felt. I think when we love something it shows through in our work. It s certainly true here! Nice to meet you through this blog.
    Your work is delightful.