Design Spotlight: Sri Devi

November 9, 2011

Our Design Spotlight falls on Sri Devi of Heart to Art – thanks, Sri!

My November horoscope highlighted the 3rd as a day when a nice surprise out of the blue would happen, so to receive Corrie’s e-mail asking if I’d like to do a Design Spotlight is an honor befitting such a pleasant surprise. Thank you Corrie!

The card I’ve chosen, for many different reasons, also happens to be my most recent sale and the last two sales have been from this collection giving thanks to teachers.

In addition to being a French and Phys. Ed Teacher at Waldorf Academy in Toronto, Canada another area of my responsibility is being the Substitution Co-ordinator.  Last minute (and sometimes in advance!) I get phonecalls from teachers needing a substitute teacher.  So grateful am I for the wonderful roster of teachers, parents and returning students who fill our substitution needs with their loving care and expertise.  It seems every year we are blessed with a new super hero that has extra time to devote to supply teaching.

As a member of our Care Committee at school I get to combine my passion for creating greeting cards with a love of honoring people through thanks or support during life’s events, joyous and sad.  I wanted to create a card to thank our Substitute Teachers for their wonderful contribution and chose an artwork piece from my Astrological Collection entitled Virgo Harvest.

For this collection, I chose a portion of the Virgo piece showing a path winding through apple trees as this is the time of year we return to school, apples for a teacher and Virgo being the zodiac sign of service guiding the way.

The quote I had originally wanted to use for this series was from Kahlil Gibran “Your work is placed in your heart.”  Here GCU introduced me to the world of copyright issues, and how I needed to get permission to use the quote.  There is a thread about this topic here.

From my experience I didn’t get very far at figuring out how to obtain permission to use the quote so the opportunity was there to create my own and that’s what I did.  To highlight the gratitude I feel for our teachers it came as “Your heart shows in your work.  Your work shines in our hearts.”  It was a rewarding result and the reviewer’s praise kept me beaming for a long while!

Being a part of GCU has been a wonderful experience. There is such diverse talent to inspire, a willingness to help and learn from each other and heartfelt sharing of life’s events, joyous and sad.  It nudges you to be a better artist in your chosen area and urges you to branch out too when you see what others have also accomplished

Thank you to all.  May y(our) sales be swift and often. Best wishes always, Sri.

1. November 9, 2011 7:22 am

Hi Sri,
    Really like the way you changed the quote and made one yourself!
    Best regards,
    barbara

2. November 9, 2011 10:05 am

Sri, I have always admired your art and am so impressed with your work on your blog. You deserve the spotlight!

3. November 9, 2011 12:51 pm

Sri, You Shine! (and inspire!) This world could use more Sri! Cheers, Lisa

4. naquaiya permalink
    November 9, 2011 2:11 pm

Sri, you are inspiring not only for your art but I love the way you use it in your every day work. You also share it with others effortlessly. Congrats and also congrats on being a French teacher.

5. November 9, 2011 4:01 pm

You know I’m a fan Sri! Great card and as I’ve mentioned to you before, you have a natural gift for translating your thoughts to the written word and we all benefit greatly from what you have to say. Congratulations!!

SalonOfArt.com

6. Gail Pepin permalink
    November 9, 2011 5:32 pm

What a great interview! I enjoyed reading about her fascinating life. I look forward to these interviews every week.
    Gail Pepin

7. November 10, 2011 3:16 pm

a most special card!

8. November 12, 2011 3:11 am

Beautiful interview, Sri, and VERY BEAUTIFUL quote you wrote! I am going to link back here to your Design Spotlight in my earlier blog posting where I spoke of you. I hope that’s ok. I think everyone should see what an amazing person you are, Sri, and this Spotlight piece helps to do that. 🙂 Thanks for sharing your lovely card and the story behind it.

Cindy

P.S. I’m sorry I didn’t comment here sooner, Sri, I think I missed Corrie’s posting on the forum while the forum was having issues.

Trackbacks