Font Frenzy: Sail

August 28, 2012

So if you don’t know about Font Squirrel by now, you’re not a serious fonts collector. The fonts on the site are free for commercial use. There’s some “much of a muchness” about a some of the fonts, but there’s also a varied selection of all kinds of typefaces from grunge to handwritten to script and more.

I’m highlighting Sail today because I liked the cursive style script. It’s fatter than Scriptina, not quite as fussy, but I can see that it will go well in combination with other, simpler, non-script fonts. Looks great by itself, too. As you can see from the sample below, you may need to adjust the kerning (space between letters) or the space between words if you’re working with a tight line, but that’s minor.

Have fun!

1. Inkflo / Angela permalink
    August 28, 2012 11:52 am

I have Sail, and I really like it for designing cards.
    Font Squirrel’s a great font site considering they are free for commercial use.

2. August 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Thank you!

3. Kati Cheldelin permalink
    August 28, 2012 4:43 pm

Thanks Corrie! Alway appreciate your font finds and use them. How do you organize your fonts on your computer? I have Mac Font Book but when I select fonts in photoshop the list is so long it can take a while to find what I want. There must be a better way to organize them.

• August 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Kati, I use Suitcase Fusion 3 which works really well in organizing fonts into different categories. You don’t have to have all your fonts on, just ones you select. It also automatically turns on the fonts that you previously used in documents (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator files). I can’t imagine working with out it! 🙂

4. August 28, 2012 4:50 pm

This is great!! I’m a fontaholic, so thank you!!!

5. August 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Sorry, Kati, I’m the worst person to ask as I’m completely unorganized! I just try to remember which fonts I like, and if in doubt, I ask my partner, who usually knows.

Corrie