Custom Corner: Merry Christmas from Mindy, Nasser, and the whole family!

December 19, 2012

Last week, we brought you a Custom Corner special about Mindy Rosso-Gaemi’s annual Christmas card and gave you a preview. Now here’s the story from the artist who designed the custom card, Micklyn Le Feuvre, and the card itself. Great idea – I love the superhero theme for the holidays.

I have only been active here at GCU for the past few months, though I opened my store a couple of years ago.  It took me a while to get going here!  But I am so glad I finally woke up to what a great opportunity we have as artists with GCU and started to put in consistent effort.

When Mindy first approached me to do her holiday card for her and her family, I was really excited but also nervous, as this was my first custom request ever.  She was wonderfully specific about what she was looking for, and gave me plenty of help, links and ideas to get me going.  We worked on the outside image first, and after e-mailing back and forth a few times, I managed to complete that design.

Once we had the outside sorted out we began work on the inside. Mindy asked for a “Super Santa” character (in keeping with the superhero / comic style theme she wanted) and I found that part possibly the most fun, as I am always happy with a pencil in my hand!

Before Mindy approached me, I must admit I had no idea we could provide custom inside designs for our customers, and in full color, too!  Mindy wanted a comic book frames style design, with quite a few images and quite a bit of text, I found it quite challenging to fit everything in, but very, very satisfying in the end!  Though I didn’t get everything right in one go, Mindy was very patient with me and encouraging as I edited and corrected small issues until we were both satisfied.

I am so thrilled and honored that she chose me to do her holiday card, especially after seeing the card that Cherie did last year. (Wow! What an amazing design that is!)  I learnt so much and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.  I feel like I am much better equipped now to work on custom requests in the future, and have also enjoyed the recent blog posts about dealing with customer requests – so helpful!

xmas2012MindyFront

Here’s the front of the card featuring Mindy and Nasser’s three beautiful daughters.

xmas2012MindyInside

And here’s the inside – cute comic book style!

1. December 19, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi Micklyn. You did a SUPER job on this card. Looks WoW awesome! Congrats to you for all of it. I have to admit though that I am feeling rather dumb today as all this time I have thought that only the customer could design/add etc. to the inside of a card. After looking through all the design tools again today and reading yet again the Wiki and related posts I assume … you created – she applied it … or no? I do not see anywhere any info or offerings – promotions – etc. for us to create the inside of the card for them. I do not know either if this brings in extra revenue to the artist or how that works exactly. The size of the space you got to work with or any of that. I would love to hear more about these parts of the creation process at some point from you or any one who can shed more light on it for me. Again, Congrats to you on a job well done~ Lj Maxx

2. December 19, 2012 3:55 pm

What a wonderful card Micklyn! Congratulations on being able to ‘put to card’ another one of Mindy’s fantastic ideas for her family holiday card. AWESOME job!

And kudos to Mindy for having such a terrific idea for your family card design! Such brilliance everywhere … I LOVE it!!

Happy Holidays!

3. December 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Awesome card, Micklyn! I enjoyed all of the details and seeing new pictures of those beautiful girls! I can imagine how much you enjoyed working with Mindy!
    Congrats!

4. December 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Love your style, awesome job for such a beautiful family!

5. December 21, 2012 3:31 am

Mindy,What a great idea! Micklyn you did a fabulous job!

6. December 21, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks so much for all the lovely comments, everyone! It really was very fun to do. : )
    @ Lj Maxx – I also didn’t realize we could design for the inside, but yes, you’re right, I did the design (7 x 10 inches – just double the normal template size) and saved it as a jpeg that I e-mailed to Mindy so that she could apply it. I guess it is up to the individual artist as to whether they want to offer such a service or not, though I might add a note about it in my store, that it is possible! I think I’d like to do more inside designs for people!!

Thanks again for all your kind words.
    Micklyn

7. December 21, 2012 1:56 pm

@Lj & Micklyn – I think now if I remember correctly, the ‘inside’ design can only be done through the customer’s end. So, if you had a customer that wanted something inside, you can – like Micklyn did for Mindy – design it and email to them, otherwise we artists can not access the inside of the card as this card shows

8. December 21, 2012 11:24 pm

Actually the artist can place inside images for the shopper using the “Share Card Link” feature. You would proceed with card customization as if you were the shopper proceeding all the way to the cart. In the cart there is the “Share Card Link” which gives you a URL to share with the shopper which will put a copy of that card in their cart. Note: to work the card must remain in the artist’s cart until the shopper has completed their purchase.

See here in the wiki for more details under Share Card Link for Custom Card Feature:

9. December 22, 2012 2:59 am

That is super information. TY Mindy. Off to print those instructions out now. Cool! 🙂

10. December 30, 2012 6:54 am

Wow!! Micklyn, what a fantastic design!! Woohoo, hands clapping!!

Great to work with Mindy isn’t it? Well good for you both and I’m sure that Mindy’s family, as well as the recipients of this SUPER-DUPER card are really enjoying it! These cards are ‘keepsakes’ for sure!

Best to you, happy new year too!

• micklyn permalink
      December 31, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks so much, Cherie! hope you have a wonderful New Year, too!!