Design Spotlight: Renee Peterson

April 22, 2014

Today’s Spotlight shines on brand new GCU artist Renee Peterson of Dollwumps Cards, a very talented artist with a style we really enjoy. Welcome, Renee!

This is my card, “Seasons.”

I created this card because the change of seasons is always very moving to me. It reminds me of the passage of time and the briefness of beautiful moments in nature. As artists we try to capture that beauty, hold onto it and make it last longer. I addressed this particular card to an old friend, as I was thinking of the special people in my life who have passed time with me and made brief, beautiful moments.

I am passionate about art and creativity! I can remember, as a child, feeling excitement when looking at illustrated children’s books and wishing I could draw and paint the same way. My fingers “itched” to draw. I liked playing with paper dolls and began drawing my own. The figures turned out pretty rough so to improve my ability I spent hours drawing the clothing models out of the Sears and J.C .Penney catalogs.

I knew I needed formal instruction and after studying both fine art and commercial art for a few years I began working as a commercial illustrator. For many years I created illustrations for books, magazines, newspapers and commercial products. I was, and continue to freelance as an editorial illustrator.

Initially my favorite medium was pencil, pen and ink, watercolor, oil and acrylic. When I first learned about computer illustration programs I doubted that they would ever replace good old fashion hand-done art. I happily came to realize that these programs became a new tool or brush or pencil to create with. Even better, the computer enabled me to be so much more creative that now I do most of my work digitally.

I live in beautiful Colorado. I love Nature, being outdoors, camping, hiking, and gardening, flowers, music, people, animals, food and most of all ART! I especially enjoy it when others enjoy the art I’ve created and I hope YOU enjoy it!

1. abigail157 permalink
    April 22, 2014 1:54 pm

Wonderful bio and beautiful card of the 4 seasons! I’m glad you are part of the GCU family!
    Gail

2. Renee Peterson permalink
    April 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Thank you so much, Gail. I’m really enjoying the support and inspiration of fellow artists. I love being a part of the GCU family. Renee

3. April 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Hello Fellow Coloradan, Very cleaver card. I too love the 4 seasons. Thanks for sharing. Yes, Colorado is beautiful.

4. April 22, 2014 2:42 pm

Welcome to the GCU family Renee! I love you style and the magnificent detail you put into some of your pieces … my favorite is the boy and bulldog … WOW!

• Renee Peterson permalink
      April 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Doreen,

I really appreciate your generous comments. Being creative is so darn much fun! It’s even better when you’re sharing it. I love GCU!

Renee

5. Cathy Kaiser permalink
    April 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Renee, Your style has a soft appeal. I live in WI and we appreciate the four seasons (some less than others). Your depiction captures the spirit of the seasons we all experience in our own way yet have gratitude for the totality of the tree of life. Your art shows the longevity of your talent as you described how you “learned.” Thank you for sharing your story. Cathy

• Renee Peterson permalink
      April 22, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi Cathy, Thank you very much for your insights and your thoughtful comments. I appreciated it. Renee

6. April 22, 2014 10:03 pm

Renee, I am so glad you featured your Seasons card! It is great to know more about you and your work. Best of luck to you at GCU!

7. Renee Peterson permalink
    April 23, 2014 3:04 am

Thank you so much, Betsy. I’m glad you like the Seasons card. I’m happy to be part of GCU!