Dash of Inspiration: April Design Challenge

April 6, 2015

A Dash of Inspiration, A Cup of Creativity by Doreen APRIL Design Challenge

WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT:

Congratulations to our Winners and to all who participated in our April Design Challenge! So many wonderful new designs that kids all over the world will love to receive. Great job everyone!

1st Place WINNER is:

Christie Black

Christie Black

2nd Place and 3rd place were only 1 point apart and it goes to:

Betsy Bush

Betsy Bush

Congratulations WINNERS and everyone remember to tune in on Monday May 4th for the next Dash of Inspiration Design Challenge!

………………………………………………..

Congratulations to our March participants and winners for creating some marvelous cards that GCU is really proud to promote! The hope is that April’s challenge will inspire some of our wonderful cartoonists and illustrators to join in the fun, as this month’s challenge should awaken your imagination. For those of you digital artists, like me, challenge yourself to improve those digital composition and blending skills to create something wonderful purely from your imagination. Now let’s get ready for this month’s Dash of Inspiration Design Challenge!

………………………………………………………………
APRIL Design Challenge – Theme:
KID’S IMAGINATION

Requirements:  Create a New ‘Animal’ – either by combining two or more other animals (as in my example), or create something completely unique! The only restriction is that the animal must be child-appropriate. Create a fun card for children for any “Kids” category. IMAGINATION rules this challenge. Let your inner-child come out to play!

………………………………………………………………

Entry Deadline: APRIL 27th, 2015

……………………………………………………………….

How to Enter:

• Post the PID (card number) and the URL (public storefront link, please DO NOT post a link to your Manage Cards area) as a post in the challenge blog. We’ll forward your entry to the jury.

……………………………………………………………….

Category: ANY Category for Children

……………………………………………………………….

Rules:

• Submission must meet GCU’s Submission Guidelines and be Approved through the usual Review Cycle – Fast Track your submission with this in the Notes to Reviewer: April Design Challenge Submission here is the link to the blog post: (include THIS blog post URL)
  • Only ONE card per artist per challenge.
  • Submissions must be NEW, no existing designs.
  • Your entry must meet the Challenge Requirements and Theme or it will not be included in the challenge.
  • Stock Card Creations entries will not be accepted.

……………………………………………………………………

Judging: Entries will be judged by the GCU Challenge Jury with results posting on the Community Blog the week of May 1st. The jury will judge the entries on the following criteria:

• How well the card meets the Challenge Requirements and Theme.
  • How well the card speaks to the Category the artist chooses for the card submission.
  • Creativity, Execution and Marketability.

……………………………………………………………………

Winners: 1st Place:

• The winning designer’s card and store will be featured on the GCU Public Blog – the blog which customers view and follow.
  • As well as featured on the GCU Public Facebook Page – nearly 15,000 followers, now THAT’S exposure!
  • The winning card will be Design of the Day following the announcement of the winners (within 48-hours).

EXCEPTION: Horizontal (landscape) cards can not be DOD due to GCU Home Page space restrictionsIn these cases, GCU will choose a different vertically oriented card from your store to feature as DOD. Thank you for your understanding and apologies for this limitation.

• The winning card will be added to the Greeting Card Universe Design Challenge Winners Pinterest Board currently over 800 followers.
  • The winning card, should the artist choose, may be referenced in a new series by the winning artist and he/she may Fast Track all cards in the new series (being sure to give the Challenge URL and winning card PID in your Notes to Reviewer for each card in this series).
  •  Winning card will be included in a marketing email to over 100,000 customers!

2nd Place:

• Your submission will be Design of the Day the following week of announcing the Challenge winners (within 7-days).

EXCEPTION: Horizontal (landscape) cards can not be DOD due to GCU Home Page space restrictions. In these cases, GCU will choose a different vertically oriented card from your store to feature as DOD. Thank you for your understanding and apologies for this limitation.

• Your card will be added to the Greeting Card Universe Design Challenge Winners Pinterest Board.
  • Winning card will be included in a marketing email to over 100,000 customers!

………………………………………………………………………

Tips:

Check out these tips, tricks, freebies, and tutorials from our own GCU Community Blog which would all be helpful in this month’s Challenge.

………………………………………………………………………

This month is all about bringing to life a child’s imagination and expressing that ‘world’ in a card just for them. Your new animal species can be earthbound or roam the skies of any planet of your choosing. Let your creativity take you away. Be sure to tie your imagery into an equally fun verse suitable for kids. When all else fails, LEARN SOMETHING NEW! Let the creativity flow and good luck!

………………………………………………………………………

Here is my example for the challenge – a silly cat head on top of a dinosaur body and named Rex, therefore my new animal is a “Catasaurus Rex”. This is completely done via digital composition. There are over 60 elements used to create this design.

Participants in the April Design Challenge:

Julia Bryant

Pamela Jorgensen

Myrna Migala

Madeline Allen

Tammy Moody

Sherry Harris

1. April 8, 2015 4:08 pm

Doreen,
    You had too much fun! What a great card. I need that thumbs up smiley face here. 🙂

I haven’t done one of these challenges yet but this one has me inspired and I am hoping to get my act together this month and get one in to the competition.

Pamela

• April 12, 2015 2:34 pm

Sorry for the delay everyone – I did not get email notification of the post for some reason.

I certainly DID have a lot of fun, Pam! Inspired by my own silver tabby (Egyptian Mau) and my fond memories of Dr. Seuss 🙂 Looking forward to seeing your creation!

2. April 9, 2015 5:50 pm

Doreen, My mind has been racing since you posted this challenge. It is amazing to think of all the combinations when you put your mind to it! Yikes, which to choose! Your Catasaurus is very cool!

3. juliat2 permalink
    April 9, 2015 7:16 pm

Doreen, Here’s my card to enter: http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/for-kids-birthday-cards/for-girls/happy-birthday-card-with-cute-1371622?aid=269112 PID:1371622

Yep, it’s a buttersnail 😀

4. April 9, 2015 9:44 pm

Doreen, Here is my entry. Thank You! PID#: 1371650 — http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/granddaughter-birthday-cards/general/granddaughter-happy-birthday-1371650?aid=288528

It’s a “Ribbit”! 🙂
    Madeline / SmudgeArt60 Card Shop

5. pamjarts permalink
    April 13, 2015 1:58 pm

Like Betsy, I could not get this out of my head so I played this weekend.
    Here is my card pid 1372562

Pamela

• April 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Excellent! That means we’ve successfully fired up your imagination with this fun and silly challenge! Entry received, Pamela, thank you and good luck!

6. Myrna Migala permalink
    April 14, 2015 9:15 pm

I tried every kind of animal combination, but none looked natural to me, except for a mermaid with wings, but then I thought of a butterfly and now I see others had the same idea. Here is my version:

• April 14, 2015 9:37 pm

Who said it had to look natural? LOL! Entry received, Myrna, good luck!

• Myrna Migala permalink
        April 15, 2015 10:24 pm

Probably the word “natural” was not the correct word, what I was trying to say. In my imagination all the beings I tried to combine looked to scary for children. However I will say that card Madeline is a real winner, cute and precious as could be, any child would love it! Frog/Rabbit

7. Tam Moody permalink
    April 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Entry PID:1373016 Link: http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/for-kids-birthday-cards/general?aid=131374
    I created a polywogglin. It is a combination of various little creatures. It is both a land and sea animal. I had fun playing with this design.

8. Sherry Harris permalink
    April 17, 2015 10:15 pm

Hi Doreen – Ok, this was fun. I really had to think of what two animals I wanted to combine and what I wanted to do with the card. I think it turned out great for a Children’s Birthday Card. I had fun creating it. I love children’s books, so that’s what came to mind. An encyclopedia of strange animals. So here’s a link to my card PID#1373148:

I hope you like it. I put it in two categories:1) Birthday/For Kids/General 2) Birthday/Animals/ Pets/Other I’m not sure why the 1st category doesn’t show on the URL, but both were used.

Thanks, Sherry

• April 18, 2015 1:25 am

Glad to hear you had fun with this challenge, Sherry! Your entry has been received, thank you and good luck! No problem on the category showing on the URL, it’s obviously kid-friendly 🙂

• Sherry Harris permalink
        April 21, 2015 12:36 am

Thanks, Doreen. I didn’t get an email as usual that you received and was worried. I finally got back here and saw that you had. Phew! Guess some emails aren’t getting through. I’ll have to keep checking things here I guess.

• April 21, 2015 1:17 am

That’s a Word Press issue, it can be inconsistent at notifications.

9. April 24, 2015 1:44 am

Everyone has such wonderful entries! My first try didn’t pan out as hoped so had to develop a plan B! Here is my entry.

10. April 29, 2015 11:51 pm

CONGRATULATIONS Christie and Betsy!

It was so fun to see where your creativity took each of you! Thank you for participating and hope to see ALL of you and more artists next month!

11. Sherry Harris permalink
    April 30, 2015 12:08 am

Congratulations Christie and Betsy. Great Cards!

12. Tam Moody permalink
    April 30, 2015 12:10 am

Congrats- both were awesome cards!!!

13. Myrna Migala permalink
    April 30, 2015 1:29 am

So exciting! Congratulations to the winners, I hope you both sell many of your winning cards.

14. April 30, 2015 1:52 am

Oh, yay! I am thrilled. Thank you so much. I will definitely need to order this card as I will have my artwork displayed at our public library this summer. Our town is everything hippo … from mascots at all of our schools to painted concrete statues in front of businesses and in people’s front yards. It will make a great addition to my display 😀
    Thanks again.
    Everyone’s cards were great … CONGRATS to you, BETSY!!!

15. April 30, 2015 2:14 am

Congratulations to you, Christie! How wonderful about your artwork being on display for your whole town to appreciate! It must be a really fun place to live with all those hippos everywhere!
    Thank you to everyone for all of your well wishes!

16. 1ramelle permalink
    April 30, 2015 6:08 am

Congratulations to all those who came up with such clever and fun creations. I sure had fun looking at each and every one of these fanciful critters. Special congrats to Christie for the winning design.

17. April 30, 2015 1:46 pm

Oh, so cute. Congratulations! Wonderful cards. I was just wondering if for the next challenge, do you have to tell GCU on this thread about your entry? I entered the contest, I think:) But I don’t see my name as a participant. I think I might have incorrectly gone about entering.

• May 1, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi Michelle,

No entry was received, you are correct. Read the Challenge Rules carefully for entry instructions:

How to Enter: Post the PID (card number) and the URL (public storefront link, please DO NOT post a link to your Manage Cards area) as a post in the challenge blog. We’ll forward your entry to the jury.

So, hopefully you’ll join us next month and now you know how to enter 🙂

• Michelle Lanoue permalink
        May 1, 2015 6:43 pm

Okay, thank you Doreen, thank you for getting back to me to let me know this, I do appreciate it:)

18. April 30, 2015 2:47 pm

Congrats to Christie and Betsy! Way to go. You are both very talented artists!

19. April 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Congratulations! The 1st and 2nd place winners are featured on GCU’s Design Challenge Pinterest board seen here:
    https://www.pinterest.com/gcuniverse/greeting-card-universe-design-challenge-win ners/

20. PamJArts permalink
    May 1, 2015 3:13 am

Congrats again to Christie and Betsy! Fabulous cards!
    I am looking forward to seeing what the next challenge will be. 🙂

21. juliat2 permalink
    May 2, 2015 4:18 am

Congrats Christie and Betsy!