Dash of Inspiration: August Design Challenge

August 3, 2015

DashInspirationBanner_2015Congratulations to our July challenge winners – 1st place: Barbara Schreiber with PID 1387816 and our runner up for July was Julia Bryant with PID 1387680 – marvelous work ladies!

……………………………………………………………….

Whether you think of them as mythical, magical, legendary, folklore or imaginary – creatures like elves, phoenix, dragons and mermaids have captured the hearts of all ages for centuries. This month’s challenge should inspire you to let your imagination visit the fantasy world and connect your idea to a theme and category well-suited for a greeting card.

…………………………………………………………………………

August Design Challenge

Theme: Magical Creatures in a Fantasy World

Requirements:

• Create a fantasy world with at least ONE mythical, magical or legendary creature from either of these two lists:

List of Legendary Creatures  or Mystic Creatures A-Z List

• Your artwork, card front text and/or verse, must all be a well-blended match to suit the recipient and category you choose – and speak directly or indirectly to Magic.

Whether you work as I did – using multiple elements to create something new and different – or you are an illustrator, painter or cartoonist; this challenge should inspire all of you to step into a fun and magical world of your very own creation.

Exmaple_Fantasy_8315

Doreen Erhardt©2015 – August Challenge Example

………………………………………………………………

Entry Deadline: August 26th, 2015 (ending on a Wednesday again this month)

……………………………………………………………….

How to Enter: Post the PID (card number) and the URL (public storefront link – please WAIT for the card to be available in the public marketplace, please DO NOT post a link to your Manage Cards area) as a post in the challenge blog. We’ll forward your entry to the jury.

……………………………………………………………….

Category:  Any Category / Any Occasion

……………………………………………………………….

Rules:

• Submission must meet GCU’s Submission Guidelines and be Approved through the usual Review Cycle  – Fast Track your submission with this in the Notes to Reviewer: August Design Challenge Submission here is the link to the blog post: (include THIS blog post URL)
  • Only ONE card per artist per challenge.
  • Submissions must be NEW, no existing designs.
  • Your entry must meet the Challenge Requirements and Theme or it will not be included in the challenge.
  • Stock Card Creations entries will not be accepted.

……………………………………………………………………

BLIND Judging:  We hope each of you enter every month. Entries are submitted anonymously for judging by the GCU Challenge Jury which means that before and during the challenge, judges do not have any way of knowing what artist is beyond each entry. This eliminates any and all concerns with ‘favoritism’. Results will post on the Community Blog – by August 31st. The jury will judge the entries on the following criteria:

• How well the card meets the Challenge Requirements and Theme.
  • How well the card speaks to the Category the artist chooses for the card submission.
  • Creativity, Execution and Marketability.

……………………………………………………………………

Winners: 1st Place:

• The winning designer’s card and store will be featured on the GCU Public Blog – the blog which customers view and follow.
  • As well as featured on the GCU Public Facebook Page – nearly 17,000 followers, now THAT’S exposure!
  • The winning card will be Design of the Day following the announcement of the winners (within 48-hours).

EXCEPTION: Horizontal (landscape) cards can not be DOD due to GCU Home Page space restrictionsIn these cases, GCU will choose a different vertically oriented card from your store to feature as DOD. Thank you for your understanding and apologies for this limitation.

• The winning card will be added to the Greeting Card Universe Design Challenge Winners Pinterest Board currently over 800 followers.
  • The winning card, should the artist choose, may be referenced in a new series by the winning artist and he/she may Fast Track all cards in the new series (being sure to give the Challenge URL and winning card PID in your Notes to Reviewer for each card in this series).
  •  Winning card will be included in a marketing email to over 100,000 customers!

2nd Place:

• Your submission will be Design of the Day the following week of announcing the Challenge winners (within 7-days).

EXCEPTION: Horizontal (landscape) cards can not be DOD due to GCU Home Page space restrictions. In these cases, GCU will choose a different vertically oriented card from your store to feature as DOD. Thank you for your understanding and apologies for this limitation.

• Your card will be added to the Greeting Card Universe Design Challenge Winners Pinterest Board.
  • Winning card will be included in a marketing email to over 100,000 customers!

………………………………………………………………………

Tips:

Check out these tips, tricks, freebies, and tutorials from our own GCU Community Blog which might be helpful in this month’s Challenge.

Nuts and Bolts: How to Write Greeting Card Verse

Dash of Inspiration: Don’t be a Copy Cat

Nuts and Bolts: The Right Image

……………………………………..and the winners are …………………….

1st place goes to Betsy Bush with PID 1394208

1st Place Winner by Betsy Bush!

2nd Place goes to Julia Bryant with PID 1394442

2nd Place Winner by Julia Bryant

Congratulations! Great entries, everyone!

Barbara Schreiber

Mishka Jaeger

Farrukh Jabeen

………………………………………………………………………

1. August 12, 2015 7:59 am

Hi Doreen,

Again, I couldn’t resist 🙂
    Here is my entry: PID 1393624

I love fantasy and to daydream, so this was a lot of fun again …

🙂 Barbara

2. August 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Barbara, Fantastic design as always! You really set the bar high!

3. August 12, 2015 7:01 pm

Aaaw, Betsy, thank you so much! I just get carried away and love doing what I do, letting my imagination do its bit and create. Because of my always getting carried away, my kids and I have to eat lots of burnt food, because I’m working on an image whilst having something cooking on the stove and forget about it… Plus, with all the creating going on, my household is quite chaotic…. That’s the downside of it 🙂

4. August 12, 2015 11:42 pm

Barbara, I can totally relate! The everyday things seem so mundane because we have to focus on creating the next thing that we love so much! My husband just shakes his head when the timer goes off ( because I have to set it to remind me what I have going!) and I still can’t pry myself away from the computer! I think we are all kindred spirits in that respect and to make a balance is very difficult because creating is so rewarding!

5. August 13, 2015 6:46 am

Exactly 🙂 When faced with the choice: clean all the windows or make those cards today, the answer is obvious, isn’t it? 🙂

6. August 15, 2015 3:21 am

Here is my entry. Almost chose Medusa for a funny Hair Stylist Thank you but the ocean called!

7. August 16, 2015 3:34 am

Thank you so much, Barbara!

8. juliat2 permalink
    August 16, 2015 7:42 pm

Here’s my entry. Trying to keep with the cards I’m doing now for the holidays and have a dragon and fairy for Christmas 🙂

PID:1394442

9. August 16, 2015 8:16 pm

Julia, So cute! I LOVE dragons!

10. August 23, 2015 3:51 pm

HI! Happy to be able to participate. Magic and Halloween go together for me. I made a Samhain card with a Cat Sidhe (one of the Aos Si, the fairy visitors).

1395590

Cheers,
    Mishka

• August 26, 2015 3:30 am

Are there other comments awaiting moderation?

• August 29, 2015 2:50 am

Hello Mishka! I am not in charge of moderation, so thanks to Farrukhj for contacting me today through my own website or I never would have known and voting begins today! Rest assured you will be entered and our apologies for not receiving your post!

• August 30, 2015 1:03 am

Thank you!

11. August 26, 2015 7:22 pm

I must say I’m so inspired by all the entries here. All of them are just so beautiful and oozing creativity.
    Here is my attempt, PID: 1396312

• August 29, 2015 2:54 am

Thank you for sending me a private email from my website! You too will make it in for voting. Both you and Mishka had your entries posted in time. It was our fault for not realizing your posts were awaiting moderation. No worries, let the voting begin!

• Farrukhj permalink
        August 30, 2015 12:44 am

Thank you!

12. Farrukhj permalink
    August 26, 2015 7:24 pm

Here is my attempt, PID: 1396312

13. August 31, 2015 10:21 pm

Thank you everyone for your patience while we worked out a silly technical difficulty and entered Farrukh and Mishka into the competition in time for voting since their entries were posted before the deadline.

CONGRATULATIONS, Betsy for your 1st Place Win!

And to Julia for taking 2nd Place!

Great cards by all and we hope you’ll all join us for the September challenge!

14. September 1, 2015 1:10 am

Thank you so much for choosing my design for first place! Congratulations, Julia for your second place win!
    All the participants created wonderful designs.
    I really like the way these challenges take our focus to different places to create something
    we wouldn’t have thought of!
    I look forward to them every month!

15. September 1, 2015 5:37 am

Betsy, congrats for getting first place, you deserve it! It’s a great card!
    Julia, congratulations also, love that toothy grin 🙂

• juliat2 permalink
      September 1, 2015 12:26 pm

16. September 1, 2015 12:23 pm

Wow.. I am really surprised 🙂 Such great cards everyone! I’m like Betsy in that I look forward to these contests every month. It really is challenging and fun. Thank you!