Dash of Inspiration – May 2, 2011

May 2, 2011

A Dash of Inspiration…A Cup of Creativity by Doreen

Beyond Visible: 100 Years of Infrared Photographs

I consider myself very fortunate, because I began my journey in photography as a student in 1980.  This gave me the opportunity to learn photography in a film-based world, choosing different types of film for different situations and developing my ‘masterpieces’ in a darkroom.  In my studies, I took four-years of Black and White photography which included studying Ansel Adams Zone System, it was in this class I was introduced to Infrared Film and the dreamy effects one could create simply by through the use of film and on-camera filters.  Sadly those days are nearly gone; however beautiful creations can still be made in the style of infrared using our own digital darkrooms.

These absolutely brilliant examples of Infrared Photography brought to us by Noupe will hopefully bring you some inspiration on how to transfer this beautiful photographic style to your digital darkroom.  In addition, I’ve provided a link to a tutorial which gives some basic step by step instructions on how to apply an infrared effect to some of your landscape photos.  As with all techniques, this will take some experimenting before you’ll find a process that provides the results you want to achieve.  I’d love to see your creations!

100 Years of Infrared Photographs

Infrared Tutorial

DON’T FORGET: When you leave a comment on any post, be sure to include a link to your store, your blog, your website, etc. It’s an opportunity for promotion!

1. May 2, 2011 10:34 am

Doreen, Can’t thank you enough for this tutorial, and also the others you can access from this site. I use Gimp but can still make use of this. Not having any formal training whatsoever, I find these sorts of links invaluable. At times it seems like things are explained in Greek but these you posted are so easy to understand. Again, thank you and congrats on your special star award.

• May 2, 2011 2:29 pm

Betsy,
      I’m really glad you are enjoying the tutorials and find them useful! I think I’ll take a toll on how many Gimp users we have out there. I do try to mix the posts up a bit with other programs, I think I’ll ask Tom how to put a poll together to see how many programs and users we have…I’d love to make sure I’m reaching everyone at least once in a while!

2. May 2, 2011 1:03 pm

I love getting your blog and looking through the tutortials you post like this one. Unfortunately, I only have Photoshop Elements 5. Sure wish you had your tuts for Elements users. I love the one you provided in this post.

3. May 2, 2011 1:33 pm

Doreen, I enjoyed reading your blog and learning about your background. I too, started my career in the darkroom and as much as I enjoy all that digital offers, I still look longingly at my dusty enlargers. I’ve turned my darkroom into a mini mixed media room and now I create a different kind of magic but still I think about what I could do in the dark and under the red light. Do you still feel this way too?
    Susan

• May 2, 2011 2:48 pm

Susan, yes I do long for the red light and solitude of my darkroom at times, but when I do I just remind myself how wonderful it is for the environment to not be using all the chemicals required in processing film. Also, I must admit, I was hooked on digital as soon as I saw my DUST FREE photographs on the screen…LOL!

I just sold my enlargers and darkroom equipment last August when we moved. No longer have my darkroom, but like you my office holds 3 computers, a drawing table and provides me a great place to create.

4. May 2, 2011 2:35 pm

Simply breathtaking imagery! Thank you, Doreen, for this article and the links to the photos and tutorial!

CindyJ

• salonofart permalink*
      May 2, 2011 11:52 pm

You are welcome CindyJ! Always delighted to know others enjoyed it!

5. May 5, 2011 5:13 am

Thanks Doreen!

This looks fabulous! I was just thinking of a graphic I needed to flip the colors on and here it is! I want to do this to all of my pics and graphics from now on. Well, maybe not all. lol My favorites, at the very least. 😉