Artist Interview: Tom Rent

May 17, 2011

This week, since he’s such a cool and helpful guy, we’re interviewing artist Tom Rent at Comical Captions, who has been a member of Greeting Card Universe since February 2008.

Tom, what drew you to join GCU?

I made a few self-published Comical Caption books in 2007 that were hard to sell, so I was looking for another way to market my humor and thought I’d try greeting cards.  It has worked out well.

Tell us who you are, where you are, and what you do.

I live in Minnesota USA.  I’m an electrical engineer, freelance technical writer, and website designer.  I run a small company called Fearless Thinkers, Inc.

What’s your favorite greeting card on GCU that you’ve created?

This is not a very good seller, and it is also not very attractive, but it was one of my original cards and the type I like to create.  I like to take a regular old photo with a person in it and wrap a nutty but plausible 1-line story around it that just seems to bring a laugh no matter what. Humans are fun.

Where else can we find you on-line?

Zazzle
Facebook
Web

What would people be surprised to learn about you?

I was a chief engineer at a large defense company for 25 years.  Odd to emigrate from that to being a greeting card tycoon.

How did you become an artist?

I am not really an artist in the traditional sense, but I have learned enough to do some rather fancy cards using programs like Photoshop incorporating my old photographs.  I’ve learned a lot from other GCU artists as well.  My knack is really in the humor writing area.

What or who inspires you?

Life! … I see humor in just about everything.  I can’t shut it off!  I need help!

What motivates you to design greeting cards?

It is entertaining to create these Comical captioned cards, and the fun continues when I see others enjoying them.

What’s the most indispensable item you use to create your work?

I have a huge photo, negative, and slide collection, all in protective sleeves and smartly organized.  It takes a lot of work but it sure has paid off.

What tools do you use to create your work?

I’m a Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 fanatic!

What do you do to promote your greeting cards on GCU?

I find posting my sales on my Facebook page via the SHARE link to work well to keep my vast friends network (kidding) laughing and buying.

Is there a tip about GCU or promoting your GCU designs you’d like to share with other artists?

Send you own cards as often as you can.

Name three other GCU artists whose work inspires you or that you admire.

Robin Chaffin (Rycky Creations)

Lisa Charlton

Patri Feher

Is there something you’re really proud of having done?

Hit 10,000 cards sold in 36 months.  Never in my wildest dreams!

If you weren’t an artist, what would you be?

Unhappy!

Thank you, Tom, for sharing your humor with the world (and your peeps love it, too) 🙂

1. Priscilla of Periwinkle Cards permalink
    May 17, 2011 9:02 am

Loved your interview with Tom. He is such a funny guy and huge help to GCU artists. His cards are funtastic!

Priscilla

2. May 17, 2011 9:46 am

Loved that interview 🙂 very nice Tom, fun and fabulous 😉 I’m trying to scramble to your 10k one day one well mybee one day 😀 keep designing, the cards make everyone chuckle and we need that these days.

Hugs
    Moonie

3. May 17, 2011 10:38 am

…need more TOM RENT

4. May 17, 2011 10:55 am

What a great interview with Tom! I really enjoyed reading this one! Tom is a great inspiration to many GCU artists with his helpful advice, friendly demeanor, and his unique sense of humor!

5. Rycky Creations permalink
    May 17, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks Corrie, for the great interview! Tom has always been one of my favorite GCU artists…love his humor and appreciate his helpful advice. And, now I know… he LIKES ME TOO!!! (LOL) Seriously, I was reading this article and enjoying every word, so when I reached the bottom and found my name, I was completely blown away. Thanks, Tom…I’m honored to make your list!
    Robin

6. May 17, 2011 12:15 pm

Tom, you tickle and inspire us! Thanks, as always for all you share. Thanks too for the huge compliment you’ve given me today. It would be daunting to pick just 3 GCU artist names but to be one of yours today, WOW, I’m humbled and thrilled. My picks are: Tom Rent, Tom Rent, Tom Rent!!! Cheers, Cheers, Cheers, Lisa

7. May 17, 2011 1:08 pm

What a delightful interview and fun to read. I don’t think I knew tom lived in MN, that’s where I live too. Yah MN!

• May 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi Brenda! Welcome to the GCU Community blog. Did you know we’re having a blog carnival right now? All you have to do is make a blog post with a summer theme, include links to 3 GCU cards, and send me the URL. At the end of the carnival, all participants will post the master list on their blogs, and there’ll be a drawing for a $50 Amazon gift certificate. You’ve got till May 24 to join. 🙂

8. May 17, 2011 3:00 pm

Another great interview from a ‘Wild and Crazy Guy’…LOL!

9. Lj Maxx permalink
    May 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Congrats on your feature Tom. An inspiring read!

10. May 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Remember the “Rent Is Too Damn High!” 2010 NY republican candidate? Well… the Rent is NEVER too high at GCU (at least, I don’t think so – although maybe that’s what helps Tom with his humor – lol! Just kidding).

Seriously, Tom, your cards are obviously among the most highly selected, and we all have the highest respect for you. 😀

Great interview and LOVE your choice of a favorite card! It’s too frickin’ funny!

Cindy

11. May 17, 2011 3:25 pm

Tom, with your sense of humor, you must be so much fun at a party! I’ve done more than one spit-take looking at your cards!

12. May 17, 2011 5:05 pm

Nice article! Tom is a one funny guy and very helpful on GCU!

13. May 18, 2011 6:07 am

Wonderful Interview Tom, you and your cards always keep us laughing!
    Thank You for that.

14. May 18, 2011 11:28 pm

You are all so wonderful. It is my priveledge to know you all. I can’t express how “loved” I feel by your kind words. Thank you! xxooxx

15. Cathy Gangwer permalink
    May 19, 2011 1:13 am

I love learning more about the Artists here on GCU!