Dash of Inspiration – October 10, 2011

October 10, 2011

Note: Don’t forget about our Blog Carnival V: the Big C – October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Get all the details in this post. Deadline is October 12th, so get your submission in!

A Dash of Inspiration, A Cup of Creativity by Doreen

Creative Blocks

Most creative people experience creative block once in awhile and though some push through it with ease, others dwell on the lack of creativity so much, they further barricade their imagination behind invisible walls making it even more difficult to let those creative juices flow again.

We all handle it differently, and different things trigger these lapses of imagination causing severe frustration.  For me, the only time it happens is when I have major distractions in my life – you see I’m a Capricorn and we’re worriers, so if there is something in my life to worry about, you can bet that’s where my energy will focus.

What always works for me to break out of this mind-set is to learn how to create using tools that are foreign to me.  I find that the focus of trying to learn a new creative process is so strong that my mind moves forward, and soon I’m having so much fun that the ideas are flowing faster than I can create them!

So this week I bring you two interesting articles about overcoming creative block, and a few fun techniques and/or tools to go play with!  Remember how much fun it was to just go outside and play?  Do that once in awhile in your world of creation, and you will not only overcome artist block, but you’ll grow as an artist and improve your offerings!

5 Surprising Causes of Creative Block and How to Overcome Them

25 strategies for Overcoming Creative Block directly from Creative People

25 FREE Download Design Programs from CreativeNerds

Halloween Photo Tricks for Photographers
Go prepare to take some wonderful greeting card photographs for next year’s cards!

Demonstrations & Tutorials on Different Painting Techniques, Methods and Skills

Well . . . what are you still doing here?  Go play in the sandbox!

1. October 10, 2011 12:22 pm

Thank you for putting all this information together for us here and in the past.
    I was trying to find some “free” clipart last week but when I read into it I wouldn’t be allowed to use them for my cards, is there a way to get really free art for cards?

Terry

• October 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Hi Terry – well, I can’t give away all my secrets or we’d all be using the same art :)) Do what I did, put 30 minutes or so a day aside for researching elements for your designs. You won’t find many places that allow you to just take the element and slap it on a card, but you will find many places where you are allowed to use their elements in derivative works, with or without credit.

When searching also include scrapbook terms in your searches. Lots out there, just keep being diligent about your searching and reading the TOU (terms of use). It’s better if we each do this individually and find our own places, a bit less likely that we’ll all be using the same bits and pieces.

Good luck!
      Doreen Erhardt

2. October 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Your comments were spot on and I am thrilled with the free programs. I am so thankful for your encouragement and generosity!

Can’t wait to start!

Thanks!

3. October 10, 2011 3:41 pm

Doreen,Thanks again for all your hard work helping to inspire us. I look forward to checking out a few of the freeware programs.

• October 11, 2011 1:27 am

You are very welcome Betsy! Hope you find something that speaks to you 🙂

4. October 11, 2011 1:40 pm

As always, great information Doreen. 🙂

5. October 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Thank you Sher!

6. October 11, 2011 5:53 pm

I dont know where you track down these very interesting sites…all very helpful … THANKS

7. October 12, 2011 3:16 am

Hey Doreen,

You are a never ending source of help, encouragement and inspiration. Your generosity is amazing and I can’t thank you enough for your suggestions, kindness and of course, your time.

So I just wanted to say a big thank you. I love the article you have written and hope it helps other artists overcome their creative block just as you, and the other GCU members, have helped me.

All the best,

Rach xox

• October 12, 2011 3:29 am

Hey Rach, you are welcome! Knowing that all of you get something out it makes worth it each week. Hope you are creating again soon!

8. March 29, 2013 5:17 pm

The links above for Halloween Photo Tips has been moved to:

Sorry for the inconvenience.