Design Spotlight: Tammy Moody

October 11, 2011

Continuing our honoring of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, we’re shining our Design Spotlight on artist Tammy Moody, and her poignant story as well as her  sweet greeting card for cancer patients. Thanks, Tammy, for sharing your experiences.

P.S. Don’t forget, tomorrow’s the deadline for our Blog Carnival: THE BIG C. Get your submission in!

The card was actually the product of one of three different sketches I put together for a breast cancer fundraiser our DAWG Group (Designing Artists Women’s Group)- an Ebay art group- was having at the time.

We put together a handmade, quilted wall hanging, and auctioned it off on Ebay to raise funds for the Susan G. Koman Foundation. I pieced the wall hanging together myself, and put it up for auction. About two dozen women artists helped with the project.

Anyhow, while the design was not the final design I chose to use,  I put my sketch in Photoshop, and made a digital creation, and used it for several cards. I wanted the card to appeal to many people, so I went with a girl next door approach – so she would look like someone we might all have a girl-talk with.

Everyplace I go I hear about someone new who has cancer. If a family doesn’t have a person with cancer, it is surprising in today’s world. In my own personal world, I have an Aunt who had breast cancer twice – she is a true survivor.

When my Mom was diagnosed with lung cancer, my Aunt called me on the phone at home, and had a long girl-talk with me. She was the person who told me, “cancer is just a word, honey, and don’t let your Mom give up because she can beat this thing if she tries.”

My Mom ended up having a lung removed in 2008. She took four chemo treatments to make sure all of the cells were gone, and she is still surviving today. My Aunt’s words of wisdom gave us all hope, which was very important at the time. She was like a guardian angel helping us through a very troublesome and difficult time, and she was not well herself. I never realized how strong my Aunt was until then- she was definitely an inspiration to us all.

My Dad did not have the same turn out, however. He fought a five year battle with colon and abdominal cancer, and we lost him in February of this year.

Eventually, I will add more cards on the subject. I have not been in much of a creative mood after losing my Dad, but am jotting ideas down and sketching. It has been an emotional and heartbreaking year. But I will eventually get back into the swing of things.

I can say that any inspiration GCU artists can give or create on the subject will be more meaningful than they could ever imagine to the person on the receiving end. These cards are inspiration, they are touching, they give hope so people can endure. The cancer cards may not take away the cancer, but their thoughtful sentiment help us all make it through. I am hoping GCU will do boxed sets of these kinds of cards for people to buy because they are still relatively new, and so many people would benefit from them.

I would like to have a GCU fundraiser someday, and have artists donate a design and sell cards to raise funds again for the Susan G. Koman Foundation because it is a very worthwhile and rewarding experience. And it is just one more way GCU artists can use their talents and skills to help touch lives and change the world.

1. October 11, 2011 8:04 am

Tammy is not just a fantastic artist and designer- she is also a fab all-round person!

Jus sayin

2. October 11, 2011 9:04 am

Tammy, what a great story you’ve given us here. We are all touched by this disease. Your art has a great appeal and as Susan says, you are a fab all-around person. Thanks for sharing both your professional and personal sides to it.

3. October 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Tammy, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. My deepest sympathy. You are a very talented artist and your artwork is amazing. I look forward to seeing your new designs once you find it is the right time for you to get back into the swing of things. I wish you all the best!

Sher

4. October 11, 2011 10:00 pm

My sweet friend Tammy,
    I love your design, as you know I love all your designs. (>8
    You’re right about cancer invading all our lives now-a-days. I’m so sorry to hear you lost your Dad. I lost my cousin to the same thing just last month. My cancer prayer list now holds 13 names and most are ‘very’ close.
    Look forward to seeing more of your creations for this most special cause.
    Hugs.

5. Rycky Creations permalink
    October 12, 2011 12:16 pm

It’s always nice to find out the story behind the card and to learn a little more about the artist. Tammy, I’m very sorry to hear about your dad’s passing, and I can totally relate about finding it hard to get back in the swing of things! I lost my mom in August to colorectal/lung cancer, and I’m also finding it hard to focus. I pray that you will be inspired to get back in the swing of things soon as you are a very talented artist! Thanks for sharing your story!
    Robin

6. Gail Pepin permalink
    October 12, 2011 3:47 pm

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Tammy. I’ve always loved your work and I know your creativity will return. Sorry about your Dad. Take care and know that we at GCU are thinking of you!
    Gail

7. October 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Tammy, What an inspiring spotlight and card.
    I too am sorry to her of your dads passing. I love a brother to colon cancer.
    My heart and prayers go out to anyone dealing with this disease.
    Janet Lee

8. October 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Tammy,

Here’s a huge hug for you my dear one! You are such a sweet person and I’ve admired you from the first time I saw your art at GCU. We’ve chatted a couple of times as we are in the same art group, and it’s great to see you spotlighted here, I do wish it was for happier reasons.

I am sincerely hoping that sharing your experiences will help to ease the pain of the loss of your dad as well as helping ease the trauma of all that you’ve been through with your mom, you’ve had quite a lot of emotional impact and it’s hard to be ‘up’ and creative when you are knocked down so hard.

It will be three years this January that we lost our wonderful papa to cancer, he was diagnosed in the previous October, so we didn’t have much time to spend with this incredible man, there is never enough time. There are still days when it doesn’t seem real, it’s not possible that he is gone, other days I smile at remembering him and his guitar playing or his smile, and days that I am just so sad and cry for his loss, I miss him so. But he wouldn’t want me to be sad or feel bad, I know this.

Nobody really knows each other’s journey, what life has brought to them, what they have truly faced and noone knows how to make anyone feel anything because it’s all up to each individual. I only know that I wish you well and prayers for you to ease your pain and sadness and let that warm light of creativity back into your heart. You are a creative soul and you must embrace it and live it, your dad would want you to be so happy!

Love,