Tips and Tricks: Getting Referral Links

July 25, 2013

Getting GCU Referral Links on Pinterest, etc.

GCU gives artists 50 cents per card on sales where the shopper has followed a referral link to the site and is a brand new customer. You can do this through placing the widget on your site(s) or by using the Sell This Card HTML code wherever you can.  However, there are times when the Sell This Card code isn’t going to work – like on Pinterest. Or linking to a banner you created promoting your designs on GCU.

What can you do?

Shared by Tracie at Photography TK Designs:

“What I’ve been doing is adding the ‘sell this card’ link to the description. Then, once it’s pinned, I edit and replace the source link with the one from the sell this card to make sure it keeps my referral code.

For instance I just pinned this card and Pinterest used this link:

So I replaced the source link with the one from the sell this card with my referral code attached.

http://www.greetingcarduniverse.com/congratulations-cards/general-congratulation s/colorful-476347?gcu=48017004048

You can see what it looks like here: http://pinterest.com/pin/525443481495347747/ “

I’ve added some additional information for those not familiar with GCU’s referral program and/or Pinterest.

Where can you find your Artist ID#?
When you’re logged in, go to Manage Cards. You’ll see your Artist ID# just under administrative settings.

How exactly do you alter a link to make it a referral link?
See example above. At the end of the URL (no spaces) add ?gcu=yourartistid

Can you do this for links other than card links?
Actually, you can also do this trick for category searches. Say you’re doing a blog post on 65th Birthday cards for Grandma. Do a search on GCU. Take the URL and alter exactly as you would above. If anybody clicks your link, they’re a new customer, and they buy a card within 30 days, you get the referral credit.

This comes in handy if you’re designing cards for a specific niche. For example, we always put “Corrie Kuipers” as a keyword. An on-site search for “Corrie Kuipers cancer” brings up all cards we’ve created for cancer patients. We can add our artist ID# in the way described above to that URL and use it as a link to get referral bonuses.

How exactly do you change the source of your pin on Pinterest?
When you’re logged in, click on your pin. If you hover your mouse just below the card and above the title, you’ll get a little mini-menu popping up that gives the current URL link – ie, “Visit greetingcarduniverse.com.” Look to the right. You’ll see a little pencil icon. Click it to edit the board, description, and/or source.

Need to know more about GCU’s referral program?
Here’s the Forum post announcing the Sell This Card code.
Here is the Card Seller FAQ.

1. July 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Thank you, Corrie. I’ve been wondering how to create referral links for GCU. Much appreciated!

2. July 25, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks Tracie and Corrie, this is great information to have!

3. July 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Corrie, I could use your help on this.

I have added some of my cards to my own website (abcbysue.com) and set them up with links from “Sell this card” on my GCU site. Here is an example of one:

It comes up with ?gcu=56956398393 but when I go to get my artist id from my GCU site like you instructed above, it shows that my artist id is 181298. I recently had a customer buy 25 cards from my personal website and I did not receive any seller commissions from them. Could this be because the referral code that is being generated (56956398393)
    is incorrect? Should I go back and change them to the artist id (181298) from my GCU site?

Thanks with your help on this.

• July 25, 2013 6:16 pm

If you want to generate an image on your blog without going through the hassle of creating your own image – in other words, you want to use the image on the GCU page – then you need to use the Sell This Card link. Get it when you’re logged in.

If you want to use your own images, then set up the URL as demonstrated in the article.

Before you do anything, a reason you may not have received commission is that the purchaser must be a NEW customer to GCU. If the customer ever bought a card from GCU before, there’s no commission, even though they used your link.

Corrie

• abcbysue permalink
        July 25, 2013 6:26 pm

I am almost positive that the customer was new to GCU because she had never heard of the site before I mentioned I was selling cards there. Isn’t it possible that the problem is related to the referral link provided by the “Sell this card” not including my correct artist id #?

• July 25, 2013 6:57 pm

I have no idea. You might leave a message on the Forum asking about it.

Corrie